"Advanced" student is struggling with an Intermediate level coursebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquirrelTeacher

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I would like to ask for help from experienced teachers. I started studying with a new student recently. She told me she had finished an Advanced level course. After I tested her, I realised that she is somewhat in between Pre-Intermediate and Intermediate level. She is rather fluent and she uses some complex structures from time to time. However, she is struggling with accuracy and seems to be confused by simple tasks, like asking questions in Present Simple. I decided to start with Intermediate level coursebook but give her additional excersises and drilles on grammar and listening. She asked me if we should take an Upper Intermediate coursebook, and I answered that we can switch to Upper Intermediate if this level is too easy. After three lessons, I understood I'd made a mistake and we actually need to take a Pre-Intermediate coursebook instead.The material in Intermediate coursebook is too challenging for her, plus she cancels every other lesson and doesn't always do her homework. What is the best way to break this news to her? After all, she wanted to study an Upper Intermediate business English coursebook, and I am about to give her a Pre-Intermediate one...

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Does she not also realise the intermediate book's too high a level for her? If not, how is that?

As long as you're confident in your assessment, it's always better to tell your students where you think they're at. If it seems like she doesn't trust you, give her some particulars: tell her exactly what she can and can't do, and what she needs to be able to do to reach the next level. She'll know you're right.

SquirrelTeacher

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Does she not also realise the intermediate book's too high a level for her? If not, how is that?

As long as you're confident in your assessment, it's always better to tell your students where you think they're at. If it seems like she doesn't trust you, give her some particulars: tell her exactly what she can and can't do, and what she needs to be able to do to reach the next level. She'll know you're right.
I think she is beginning to realise that, too, but it is hard for her to accept that after she was told she is "Advanced" at the language school she used to study at. From what I've read, that school is quite weird. They don't explain any grammar rules at all, so she is confused even about the basics. Also, she told me she has good listening skills and she watches a lot of videos in English. She was struggling with a listening task in the first unit of Intermediate coursebook, though. It's probably the first time that I've come across a student that has such a twisted idea about their level and competency.

I decided that I will just start a Pre-Intermediate coursebook next lesson and see how it goes. Maybe she started to realise that her level is really low, but too embarrased to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.