Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This is from Raymond Murphy "English Grammar in Use", second edition, unit 128 (page 256).

Could you have a look at these three screenshots.

Screenshot from 2021-06-15 16-59-42.pngScreenshot from 2021-06-15 17-00-02.jpgScreenshot from 2021-06-15 17-01-00.png

For both tasks 7 and 8 I answered of/to/in.

Please, also have a look at https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/advantage_1

There are three examples:

• advantage of (doing) something A small car has the added advantage of being cheaper to run.
  • advantage in (doing) something Is there any advantage in getting there early?
  • advantage to (doing) something There are many advantages to online shopping.
  • Could you help me understand why I was wrong and why the key contains those very answes?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is from Raymond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use", second edition, unit 128, page 256.

Could you have a look at these three screenshots?

View attachment 4110View attachment 4111View attachment 4112

For both tasks 7 and 8 I answered of/to/in.

Please, also have a look at https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/advantage_1

There are three examples:

The advantage of (doing) something: A small car has the added advantage of being cheaper to run.

The advantage in (doing) something: Is there any advantage in getting there early?

In that one, both in and to work. I'd use to.

The advantage to (doing) something: There are many advantages to online shopping.

Could you help me understand why I was wrong and why the key contains those [STRIKE]very[/STRIKE] answers?
Let's see what our grammarians say.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let me get this right—do you mean you put all three prepositions as your answer to both question 7 and question 8?

Follow the very clear and simple rule given in the first of your attachments: After there are, use to/in. Otherwise, use of. If you'd followed this rule, you would have got the right answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.