Alexa please rewind the movie by two minutes.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) Alexa please rewind the movie by two minutes.
2) Alexa please fastforward the movie by two minutes.
3) Please take the movie to 34:35 time stamp.

4) Please take the movie at 34:35.

Please check these sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please check these sentences. Put this at the top of the post.

1) Alexa, please rewind [the movie by] two minutes.
2) Alexa, please fast forward [the movie by] two minutes.
3) Please take the movie to 34:35 time stamp. ❌
4) Please take the movie at 34:35. ❌and I have no idea what you're trying to say.
I assume these are all meant to be spoken instructions for Alexa. As such, you need to say the times in full.

1 and 2 are OK with my corrections.
3 would have to be something like "Alexa, please fast forward to thirty-four minutes and thirty-five seconds". (I have no idea if Alexa can do that!)

Also, remember that there's no need to use "please" when you're talking to a voice assistant.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I assume these are all meant to be spoken instructions for Alexa. As such, you need to say the times in full.

1 and 2 are OK with my corrections.
3 would have to be something like "Alexa, please fast forward to thirty-four minutes and thirty-five seconds". (I have no idea if Alexa can do that!)

Also, remember that there's no need to use "please" when you're talking to a voice assistant.
If we are instructing someone else, like a friend then what are the changes that we need to make?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
If we are instructing someone else, like a friend then what are the changes that we need to make?
If you're instructing someone, no changes are needed, other than replacing Alexa with the friend's name if you want to address them.

If you're asking someone, you can word it as a question. Could you rewind/fast forward two minutes please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Open the pod bay doors, please, HAL.
OK, even I would say "please" to HAL. The consequences of failing to do so aren't worth the risk.

However, I'll take your HAL and raise you to "Close the blast doors! ... Open the blast doors! Open the blast doors!" ;)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
OK, even I would say "please" to HAL. The consequences of failing to do so aren't worth the risk.

:giggle:

I suppose it's somewhat comforting to know that when the machines take over, it'll be done civilly, with Ps and Qs.

"I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

However, I'll take your HAL and raise you to "Close the blast doors! ... Open the blast doors! Open the blast doors!" ;)

Nice. I'll see that and raise you Finn in The Last Jedi:

"Hello, ma'am. I'm a maintenance worker. I'm here to inspect ... the fuel supply."

(I'm not sure how wise it is to play AI film quote poker with a woman who has a droid as an avatar, even if it is one I used to own during the Clone Wars.)

Last edited: