All of us take turns/are taking turns to make a presentation, but Greg is not.

JEic

Member Type
Native Language
Cantonese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
(a) All of us are taking turns to make a presentation, but Greg is not.
(b) All of us take turns to make a presentation, but Greg is not.

I am thinking which tense should I use? Is present continuous correct or present tense correct, or both are correct?

Try:

We are taking turns making our presentations.

Taking turns takes place between two or more people. I'm not sure what you mean when say Greg is not taking turns.

I am thinking which tense trying to decide whether I should I use ? Is the present continuous correct or present simple tense, correct, or are both are correct?
I'm not sure what those sentences above mean. Please use as many words as you need to explain the situation you have in mind.

Try:

We are taking turns making our presentations.

Taking turns takes place between two or more people. I'm not sure what you mean when say Greg is not taking turns.
I mean that Greg is one of us who should be making presentation also, but he somehow decides not to.

I'm not sure what those sentences above mean. Please use as many words as you need to explain the situation you have in mind.
Basically, I'm wondering if (a) and (b) are both correct.

For (a), I used "are taking"
For (b), I used "take"

If the tense used is wrong in either, I'm wondering why? Both sounds right to me.

Most of us are making a presentation but Greg isn't.
We're all making a presentation, except Greg.

There's no need to mention that you're going to take it in turns. The only relevant facts are that some people will present but Greg won't.

You use the present tense only if it is a regular thing.

I mean that Greg is one of us who should be making presentation also, but he somehow decides not to.
Are you talking about one group presentation or individual presentations?

Then say everybody but Greg is making a presentation.

@JEic I gave you a sentence to use in post #2. Did you decide it's wrong?

Both sounds sound right to me.

Not me.

Back