Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello

Topside and boottop

Boot top = the area between the water lines of a ship when fully loaded and when unloaded.

All painting on the subsequent coat including the final coat should be completed. This includes painting of marks and names.

The thing is that the first sentence may be ambiguous, at least to me.

Does "all painting on the subsequent coat" mean a) "all painting that is on top of the subsequent coat" or b) "all application of the subsequent coat"?

Do you know what I mean?

In version b, I mean to refer the fragment to the fact that in English it is possible to say "to paint something on" meaning "to put a coat of paint on something".

Context - maybe it will prove helpful.

If there is no separate boot top

• Apply the second touch up coat of the anticorrosive paint. • If applying a full top coat of PU, prior to underwater application, carry out line cutting of 2 roller widths on the boottop belt by roller, with the final coat (PU paint). • If only applying a T/up coat of PU, carry out the repairs to the lower meter on the boottop belt by roller with T/up coat of PU paint.
What do you think?
Thank you.

I would expect to hear 'all paint on (the) subsequent coats'. I would take it to mean each additional coat (layer) of paint. It appears in this context that additional coats may only be applied to certain areas versus the entire ship equally.

Some areas may have more coats (layers) than others.

Edit: I made a transcription error. The original 'all painting' is fine, although I'd still expect to hear 'coats' instead of 'coat'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back