American English - Did you want coffee, Sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbuddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In North America, I always hear waiters say "Did you want coffee, Sir?" But in standard english, should say "Do you want coffee, Sir?". Could you please explain why they will use past tense "Did you" to express it? Thanks.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In North America, I always hear waiters say "Did you want coffee, sir?" But in standard English, you should say "Do you want coffee, sir?". Could you please explain why they [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] use the past tense "Did you" to say that? [STRIKE]Thanks[/STRIKE].

If you want to know why somebody said something you have to ask that person.

oldbuddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If you want to know why somebody said something you have to ask that person.

Haha, thanks for your feedback. I wonder if you also hear many waiters in North America use the past tense "Did you" to say that?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
AmE uses the simple past with certain verbs as a way of making polite offers.

That being said, not all waiters would use that construction. Many would use 'do' or 'would you like", or many other possible constructions. The simple past isn't necessarily a default setting for waiters.

edit: However, culturally we do expect a certain level of politeness or even deference from people in the service industry, so someone like a waiter would be more likely to use this construction.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I supposed it's conceiving of the meal as something planned in advance. I wanted to go out and have a full meal: appetizers, entree, dessert, and then coffee.

When I was conceiving the meal, I did plan on having coffee. So I "did" want coffee.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. "Do you want?" is more normal and expected.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The so-called past tense can distance a situation not only in time, but also in reality and directness. Distancing in directness is increasing in indirectness, a way of appearing more polite. Here are some more examples:

What was your name?
I wondered if you had a moment.
Could you open the window, please?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I fully agree with what 5jj said, Oldbuddy. But to answer your question about how common it is, it's very common in AmE in contexts that have a commercial aspect, such as restaurants.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you mean by "standard English"? The way you've worded your question suggests that you think AmE isn't standard. If that's the case, you're wrong. It's standard English in the USA.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would expect the waiter to say, "Would you like coffee?" or, more likely, "What would you like to drink?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Across the world, there are many different ways for waiters to speak to customers. I know you asked about AmE but I'll give you a few examples of what you might hear when you've finished your main meal (or after dessert if you've had that) at a restaurant in the UK:

Would you like coffee or tea?
Any coffees or teas for you?
Coffees? Teas?
Can I get you anything else?
Anything else or shall I get you the bill?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have been taught in school that it is generally impolite to ask "Do you want", but I see the Americans don't mind it so much. "Would you like" is the courteous and preferred way of asking in BrE.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldbuddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
AmE uses the simple past with certain verbs as a way of making polite offers.

That being said, not all waiters would use that construction. Many would use 'do' or 'would you like", or many other possible constructions. The simple past isn't necessarily a default setting for waiters.

edit: However, culturally we do expect a certain level of politeness or even deference from people in the service industry, so someone like a waiter would be more likely to use this construction.

Finally I got the answer with detailed explanation in the following link, everyone should take a look.

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/everyday-grammar-simple-past-tense/3683495.html

Last edited by a moderator:

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
I am not a teacher.

Interesting.
How would you interpret if a waiter asked you the same question while holding a cup of coffee in North America?

Did they make a mistake?
Are they trying to ask you in a polite way if you would like to have a coffee ?
Is this one of the strategies to make you want a coffee while showing you the object?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In what situation would a waiter be carrying a cup of coffee that you haven't even ordered yet?

oldbuddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What did you learn there that we didn't tell you in our responses?

Yes, partially and useful to me but not exactly what I expected until I found the answer from this web, I am sorry to speak frankly and thanks a lot for your information.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would expect the waiter to say, "Would you like coffee?" or, more likely, "What would you like to drink?"
Thank you for saying that. I rarely hear waitstaff say sir, probably for the same reason I don't use it myself: It sounds artificial, obsequious, and insincere.

That might be because American and British English manners are different.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have been taught in school that it is generally impolite to ask "Do you want", but I see the Americans don't mind it so much. "Would you like" is the courteous and preferred way of asking in BrE.
You're right. It sound fine to me. As I said above, American and British manners are different.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

Interesting.
How would you interpret if a waiter asked you the same question while holding a cup of coffee in North America?

I'd think the waiter is assuming I want coffee.

I don't.

Did he make a mistake?

Yes. I never order coffee.

Is he trying to ask you in a polite way if you would like to have a coffee[no space]?

The question itself is polite, but assuming I want it is also wasting time for both of us. Now he has to go dump out the coffee and bring me something I want.

Is this one of the strategies to make you want a coffee while showing you the object?

I don't think so. I've never encountered it.
Waiters are always he. Waitresses are always she.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I was a bit shocked the first tine somebody called me sir. I felt it implied I was growing old. Now that I am indisputably old, it's become usual and I've gotten used to it

Status
Not open for further replies.