American English - Did you want coffee, Sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, partially and useful to me but not exactly what I expected until I found the answer from this web, I am sorry to speak frankly and thanks a lot for your information.

If you prefer what you find on the web to our advice, then why come to our site and waste our time asking questions? You are now banned for a week. If you choose to return after your ban, mind your manners.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was a bit shocked the first tine somebody called me sir. I felt it implied I was growing old. Now that I am indisputably old, it's become usual and I've gotten used to it
I still hate it and will add this to post 17: It's ageist, too.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Waiters are always he. Waitresses are always she.

Of course. You are right.
Did he make a mistake or it is just a tactic used to make patrons want a coffee?

In what situation would a waiter be carrying a cup of coffee that you haven't even ordered yet?

In some places.

The production cost of a cup of coffee isn’t expensive.
(I am not stating this in response to any answer.)

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Being addressed as sir seems completely natural to me when I'm in my home region.
It's common everywhere. But it always rubs me the wrong way. Life isn't a military academy!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of course.

It didn't look like an of-course!

Did he make a mistake or it just a tactic used to make patrons want a coffee?

A: I've never seen a waiter or waitress do it. It would be a waste of time and coffee.

B: No one makes you want coffee. Either you want it or you don't. It's pretty black-and-white.

In some places.

I've been a lot of places. I've never seen it. No doubt it happens sometimes.

The production cost of a cup of coffee isn’t expensive.

No one said it is.
That's the best I can do!

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
That's the best I can do!

In the original post (I assume is OP), the user asked about the usage of ‘Did you want ...?’ at some eateries. Some teachers have explained that it is an accepted version of politeness in that milieu in North America with the past tense. People who don’t have an American accent and who are not in North America should avoid this form of usage or else be considered a grammar mistake. Unless, one shows a more convincing tone to native speakers.

I am just curious.
Thanks to the original question, I am able to learn about this structure and its usage in North America but might raise an eyebrow if it is used elsewhere ...

My next question is if a US citizen worked in a café in The UK, decided to use this form “Did you want ...?” Would British people still think it is a grammar mistake or they would let it go knowing that person is from North America through accent?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, partially and useful to me but not exactly what I expected until I found the answer from this web, I am sorry to speak frankly and thanks a lot for your information.

None of that makes sense to me.
:?:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the original post (I assume is OP), the user asked about the usage of ‘Did you ask ...?’ at some eateries.
No they didn't.
Some teachers have explained it is an accepted version of politeness in that milieu in North America with the past tense. People who don’t have an American accent and who are not in North America should avoid this form of usage or else be considered a grammar mistake. Unless, one shows a more convincing tone to native speakers.
Nobody has said that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My opinion, candalynx, is that when you use too many words in a sentence you tend to get lost. And when you go on too much about something, well ----.

I advise you not to use sentence fragments at this point.

You are right that OP is the abbreviation for original post or original poster.

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Any coffees or teas for you?
Coffees? Teas?

I don’t comprehend the ‘s’ at the end of ‘coffee’ and ‘tea’.
Could you please shed some light on this?

I have been taught in school that it is generally impolite to ask "Do you want", but I see the Americans don't mind it so much. “

Americans don’t mind it so much ( the usage of past tense in that structure to ask someone something in a polite manner especially in hospitality in North America or just the USA.
Some moderators liked the post . Should I assume they agree?
To my understanding, a waiter usually works in an eatery.
I did try to join the dots ...

My opinion, candalynx, is that when you use too many words in a sentence you tend to get lost. And when you go on too much about something, well ----.

I advise you not to use sentence fragments at this point.

You are right that OP is the abbreviation for original post or original poster.

I understand your view. I indeed need to ameliorate myself in communication.
There are just too many questions and your answers are very interesting.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Some teachers have explained that it is an accepted version of politeness in that milieu in North America with the past tense.

I can see how post #4 has given you the impression that this is only an AmE thing, but it isn't. It also applies to British and other varieties of English.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Canadalynx: yes, when we click Like you can assume we agree.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don’t comprehend the ‘s’ at the end of ‘coffee’ and ‘tea’.
Could you please shed some light on this?

I assumed the waiter was approaching a table with more than one person sitting at it. If there is just one customer, it would probably be "Any coffee or tea for you?"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I assumed the waiter was approaching a table with more than one person sitting at it. If there is just one customer, it would probably be "Any coffee or tea for you?"
And in the US, waiters and waitresses will never ask if you want tea.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the original post (I assume is OP), the user asked about the usage of ‘Did you want ...?’ at some eateries. Some teachers have explained that it is an accepted version of politeness in that milieu in North America with the past tense.

Yes. "Do you want," "Did you want," "Would you like," and "Will you want" are equally polite and grammatical in the US.

People who don’t have an American accent and who are not in North America should avoid this form of usage or else be considered a grammar mistake. Unless, one shows a more convincing tone to native speakers.

Interesting to know!

I am just curious.
Thanks to the original question, I am able to learn about this structure and its usage in North America but might raise an eyebrow if it is used elsewhere ...

My next question is if a US citizen worked in a café in The UK, decided to use this form “Did you want ...?” Would British people still think it is a grammar mistake or would they let it go knowing that person is from North America through accent?

Good question. Remember that people in all English-speaking countries tend to have shaky grammar. And we tend to disagree on what's good and bad grammar.
There's an entertaining book written by an American linguist who has lived and taught in England for many years: The Prodigal Tongue.

It compares British and American English in entertaining detail. One thing she discusses is what is polite — for instance, the use and lack of use of the word please.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Candalynx, you did just what I was going to advise you to do. (Post #31.) When you write shorter, simpler sentences it is easier to understand you and easier to correct any mistakes (if there are any.)

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status