English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It sounds fine.

What is it exactly that you would like feedback on?

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Try to lax the "i" in "simple". It sounds like you're saying "seemple". It's supposed to be an /I/ (IPA) sound.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your English is very clear and understandable. But you're right, the accent wouldn't be mistaken for American.

Here's one tip. Work on the "short" A in words like after. In most European languages, including British English, it's not as flattened as it is in American English. I think people from other countries avoid it because it sounds comical or annoying to them. But it's natural and indespensable in American English. We actually like it.

Try singing along with the old Jim Croce song "Bad Bad Leroy Brown." Hear how he says bad, man, and damn? Pure American English, and music to our ears!

So work on nailing that short A. There's hardly a sentence that doesn't have it somewhere, so getting that sound down will advance your American accent a lot.

PS - Did you notice the examples of intentional sentence fragments?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In addition to the vowel sound mentioned by Charlie Bernstein, both your intonation and your consonants need work if you want to sound like a native speaker. There is plenty of information online about the differences between Spanish and English consonant sounds. Intonation is more difficult to learn. All I can recommend offhand is lots of careful listening.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is vanishingly unlikely that you will ever sound like a native speaker, Dickstuckinfan.

Even if you do manage to reduce your accent, you will always have a Spanish accent so don't worry about it. What you should aim for is clear and effective pronunciation. You don't need to try to adopt the features of an American accent to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It is vanishingly unlikely that you will ever sound like a native speaker, Dickstuckinfan.

With great respect, I disagree. I know non-native speakers of English who have achieved near-perfect accents. For myself, a few French Canadians have asked me whether I am from France. In other words, I may not be good enough to convince a French person that I am a native French-speaker, but I am good enough to fool some other native speakers of French.

Let's not discourage our students unduly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Even if you do manage to reduce your accent, you will always have a Spanish accent so don't worry about it. What you should aim for is clear and effective pronunciation. You don't need to try to adopt the features of an American accent to do that.
Yes! Being able to mimic an accent is not a talent we all have. Some can do it, but most can't. And there's nothing wrong with having an accent that tells people where you're from.

There's nothing wrong with improving your accent (if you call an American accent an improvement!), but vocabulary, grammar, and usage are much more important.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Learners should strive for an accent which does not impede understanding. Beyond that, I agree that vocabulary and grammar are more important, but it never hurts to continue improving your accent.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Learners should strive for an accent which does not impede understanding. Beyond that, I agree that vocabulary and grammar are more important, but it never hurts to continue improving your accent.
Yup! That's why it's a good question.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Learners should strive for an accent which does not impede understanding. .

Sure. And if that standard will satisfy Dickstuckinfan, then he or she is already there.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let's not discourage our students unduly.

With respect, I mean only to encourage students to be realistic about their goals, when I think it will beneficial for them. I don't appreciate the suggestion that I was being deliberately negative. I spend every day of my working life helping my students to be more confident, and encouraging them to believe in their abilities.

I did not say that non-natives cannot achieve 'near-perfect' accents. I did not even say that non-natives cannot achieve 'perfect' accents. I said that it is vanishingly unlikely that Dickstuckinfan will ever sound like a native speaker.

This opinion is based on three things. Firstly, the conclusions of the wealth of academic studies in the field which support my view. Secondly, my judgement of the OP's performance in the audiofile that he provided, which in my view is a long way from 'native-like'. Thirdly, my assumption that the OP is not pre-adolescent (which if he was would give him a reasonable, but still long, shot of achieving native-like delivery.)

Dickstuckinfan—I hope you do not take offence at what I've said. Please accept that as an English teacher, I have only your best interests at heart, whether I am right or wrong about what I say. My aim in this thread is to encourage you to understand clearly in your mind the difference between speaking with a Spanish accent, which is fine, and speaking with poor pronunciation. They are not the same thing.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If I have offended you, jutfrank, please accept my sincere apology. I must try to be more careful in how I express my views.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Having a near-native accent can actually make communication more difficult. It gives an impression of fluency that your command of the language may not merit.

I know what I'm talking about here. I'm blessed or, as it sometimes seems, cursed with a keen ear. As a result, I'm often greeted with a torrent of the local language after saying nothing more than "good morning". I may not understand any of it. :-(

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If I have offended you, jutfrank, please accept my sincere apology. I must try to be more careful in how I express my views.

Accepted, probus. I probably took offence where it was not meant.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Having a near-native accent can actually make communication more difficult. It gives an impression of fluency that your command of the language may not merit. . . .
That's true! I have an old friend whose first language is German. But I never knew that until she asked me to explain a word or phrase I'd used. She's a classical pianist with a good ear, and her American English, like her piano playing, is pitch perfect.

So when she didn't understand whatever it was, I thought she was just dumb - until she explained that English was her second language.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Thank you all for your suggestions and responses.
I know it is practically impossible to develop an American accent at my age (18). My goal is not to sound like a native English speaker because it will take years of practice, besides, as I grow older it will only get tougher. The aim is to improve my intonation and pronounce words aptly. Fortunately, I'm living in the US and being surrounded by native English speakers might help me to achieve this. I will also exercise shadowing to sound a bit more natural when I speak.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you all for your suggestions and responses.
I know it is practically impossible to develop an American accent at my age (18). My goal is not to sound like a native English speaker because it will take years of practice, besides, as I grow older it will only get tougher. The aim is to improve my intonation and pronounce words aptly. Fortunately, I'm living in the US and being surrounded by native English speakers might help me to achieve this. I will also exercise shadowing to sound a bit more natural when I speak.

Good.

(Here's some advice: in future, keep it away from the fan.)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.