Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I need an original sentence using the word in context. It has to fit and match for the MODERN/CURRENT meaning. So I have to create a mature compound-complex sentence with an appositive. Correct spelling and punctuation and well-used vocabulary. Bracket the subordinating and coordinating conjunctions and underline the allusion word's appositive in the sentence.

Here is an example I created with the word muse,
When the girl was home alone, all she did was muse, think, about the past year, for the year was long and hard.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't do your homework for you. Go ahead and try and we will help. Babbit is not a common word at all.

Luuster2

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I never said it was for homework, school hasn't even started yet :). I'll try anyways. :up:

When Alex was at work, he had to babbitt, coat with a thin layer of bronze, an iron shell that the crankshaft and connecting rod big end bearings in a automobile engine, but he was too scared.

Would this sentence fit the guidlines?

Last edited:

Luuster2

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Help anyone?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Who set you this task? Why do you have to do it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The title of your thread had babbit with a single t. Your sample sentence had the word with a double t, as babbitt. Which is it. Who set this strange task "to create a mature compound-complex sentence with an appositive. Correct spelling and punctuation and well-used vocabulary. Bracket the subordinating and coordinating conjunctions and underline the allusion word's appositive in the sentence"? And who selected 'babbit(t)' for this task?

Luuster2

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The title of your thread had babbit with a single t. Your sample sentence had the word with a double t, as babbitt. Which is it. Who set this strange task "to create a mature compound-complex sentence with an appositive. Correct spelling and punctuation and well-used vocabulary. Bracket the subordinating and coordinating conjunctions and underline the allusion word's appositive in the sentence"? And who selected 'babbit(t)' for this task?

OhA strange task you may ask... HAHA! Well, My peers and I were having fun at work messing with some words since we didn't have any law firms to do (I'm a lawyer). So we decided to make a bet amongst the whole office. We're suppose to use words that barely anyone uses anymore. The more harder and unrecognized, the better. I chose babbitt since it has 2 meanings but I need to talk about the book. babbitt metal is too easy. Ah whatever thanks anyways.

Luuster2

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this case I was suppose to use this definition: a self-satisfied person concerned chiefly with business and middle-class ideals like material success; a member of the American working class whose unthinking attachment to its business and social ideals is such to make him a model of narrow-mindedness and self-satisfaction ; after George F. Babbitt, the main character in the novel Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis. Even I don't evenknow how that would fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.