Applying sustainable manufacturing methods, factories can help prevent depletion of resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

Can the sentence

"Applying sustainable manufacturing methods, factories can help prevent depletion of resources."

be also written using the word 'by'? Does the meaning change, and is it necessary to use 'by'?

"By applying sustainable manufacturing methods, factories can help prevent depletion of resources."

Though I'm not sure, I think the first model is called an 'adverbial clause'. And, this is a sample I have written, and it's not copied.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your sentence is fine, but so, of course, is the original.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Your sentence is fine, but so, of course, is the original.
Thanks. Which one would be your choice as a native speaker? I'm practising for a writing test, which is why I'm curious to know the difference. 🙏

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Mehrgan, where did you find the original?
As I said, it's not copied. I'm just obsessed with this grammar. What I don't know is the grammar title for this usage, and why sometimes 'by' is omitted.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So, if I got it right, if 'the way/method' of doing something is meant, we'd better use 'by'. But we can start the phrase with an -ing if a simultaneous action, or cause and effect, is supposed to be expressed.

I'm copying some sentences from Understanding Grammar, titled as "Modifying Adverbial Phrases" (by Azar & Hagen):

1. "Walking down the street, I ran into an old friend."

2. "Lacking the necessary qualifications, he was not considered for the job."

And, my sentence:

3. "By investing in arts, governments can widen public's insight into fine works."

Yet, I'm not sure if this is correct at all!
4. "Increasing your blood flow and boosting the circulation, [ working out on a regular basis ] is highly recommended."

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I prefer:
Working out on a regular basis is highly recommended to improve blood circulation.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Mehrgan In addition to what 5jj said, there are a couple of words in that one that can be deleted.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Increasing your blood flow and boosting the circulation, [working out on a regular basis] is highly recommended.
The only correction I've made above is that I've removed the incorrect space after the opening bracket and before the closing bracket. I wasn't really sure what you were trying to get across with the use of square brackets.

There are a couple of ways to make that string of words grammatical:

- Increasing your blood flow and boosting your circulation, by working out on a regular basis, is highly recommended. (Two commas and "by".)
In this version, it's clear that working out on a regular basis is how to increase your blood flow and boost your circulation.

- Increasing your blood flow and boosting your circulation by working out on a regular basis is highly recommended. (No commas; with "by".)
In this version, the recommendation is that you regularly work out to increase blood flow and boost circulation.

There's also this possibility:
- Increasing your blood flow, boosting your circulation, and working out on a regular basis are highly recommended. (Multiple changes.)
Admittedly, if your intention was to make it clear that working out leads to better blood flow and circulation, then I have totally changed the meaning.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
- Increasing your blood flow and boosting your circulation by working out on a regular basis is highly recommended. (No commas; no "by".)
In this version, the recommendation is that you regularly work out to increase blood flow and boost circulation.
But that version does have "by". :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to write "with by". I've changed it.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The only correction I've made above is that I've removed the incorrect space after the opening bracket and before the closing bracket. I wasn't really sure what you were trying to get across with the use of square brackets.

There are a couple of ways to make that string of words grammatical:

- Increasing your blood flow and boosting your circulation, by working out on a regular basis, is highly recommended. (Two commas and "by".)
In this version, it's clear that working out on a regular basis is how to increase your blood flow and boost your circulation.

- Increasing your blood flow and boosting your circulation by working out on a regular basis is highly recommended. (No commas; with "by".)

There's also this possibility:
- Increasing your blood flow, boosting your circulation, and working out on a regular basis are highly recommended. (Multiple changes.)
Admittedly, if your intention was to make it clear that working out leads to better blood flow and circulation, then I have totally changed the meaning.
Thanks for the time and the detailed answer.

Actually, I used the brackets to show the subject of my sentence, and that the WHOLE phrase (action) helps to increase blood flow and boost circulation.

The rephrased version would be, 'Working out on a regular basis (and not on a whim!) is highly recommended because it can increase our blood flow and boost the circulation.'

And for weird reasons I think these sentences may mean the same:

A) "Increasing blood flow and boosting the circulation, working out on a regular basis is highly recommended."
B) "While increasing blood flow and boosting the circulation, working out on a regular basis is highly recommended."
C) "Because it increases blood flow and boosts the circulation, working out on a regular basis is highly recommended."

I'm sorry for making this thread drag on! :(

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Um, "blood flow" and "circulation" are the same thing. Try:

Working out on a regular basis improves circulation.

Or:

Working out regularly improves circulation.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could also use through in your original sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.