Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is "of" optional in the first sentence? It is in the second, if I am not mistaken.

1. "The church doesn't approve of surrogacy. Despite the fact that it gives couples a chance to have a child."

2. "The church disapprove of surrogacy despite the fact that it gives couples a chance to have a child."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

Is "of" optional in the first sentence? It is in the second, if I am not mistaken.

1. "The church doesn't approve of surrogacy no full stop here despite the fact that it gives couples a chance to have a child."

2. "The church disapproves of surrogacy despite the fact that it gives couples a chance to have a child."

"of" is required in both. In such a context, we "approve of something" or "disapprove of something". The other meaning of "approve" has a different antonym - "unapprove".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

1. "The church doesn't approve of surrogacy despite the fact that it gives couples a chance to have a child."

2. "The church disapproves of surrogacy despite the fact that it gives couples a chance to have a child."
Of is required in both.

(Cross-post.)

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a different usage.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"A solid majority disapproves the way the president is handling the controversy" (taken from that link and which says it's North American English) does not work in BrE.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"A solid majority disapproves the way the president is handling the controversy" (taken from that link and which says it's North American English) does not work in BrE.
But since the idea is the same that's why I thought I could omit "of" in "disapprove".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't work at my house, either. It should be disapproves of.

You can approve something (My vacation request was approved), but you can't disapprove something.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nor does it in American English. We disapprove of the way he's handling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.