Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
In answer to the question "Do you approve of people who become famous as a consequence of appearing again and again in the media and not because of having an artistic career?" can I say "I don't approve" and then add "People should be famous for their talent, not for appearing again and again in the media."
Is adding "of" necessary after "approve"?

Source: It's the fifth question on this page: http://iteslj.org/questions/celebrities.html

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In answer to the question "Do you approve of people who become famous as a consequence of appearing again and again in the media and not because of having an artistic career?" can I say "I don't approve" and then add "People should be famous for their talent, not for appearing again and again in the media."
Is adding "of" necessary after "approve"?

Source: It's the fifth question on this page: http://iteslj.org/questions/celebrities.html
You need to say "Do you approve OF people . . . ?" Saying "Do you approve people . . . ?" doesn't work.

Grammatical answers:

- I don't.
- I don't approve.
- I don't approve of it.
- I don't approve of that.

Ungrammatical answer:

- I don't approve of.

However, none of those is a good answer. You don't need to be an artist to earn fame. Famous people also come from politics, journalism, sports, science, and other places.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Such people are famous for being famous. A negative term for them is sleb, a shortened form of celebrity.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Rachel, do you understand the difference between these two?

------

That is not a great website. I have on several occasions found errors/unnatural sentences on their website.

I understand the second to mean that these people ended up famous probably not because they wanted to be famous.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No. The first is asking if the listener approves of the people, whereas the second is asking if the listener approves of the process of becoming famous through appearing again and again ... etc.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. The first is asking if the listener approves of the people, whereas the second is asking if the listener approves of the process of becoming famous through appearing again and again ... etc.
Thank you! Could you recommend a better website?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
For what exactly?

Status