[Grammar] Are you still single or YOU HAVE/ HAVE YOU married ./?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This is not my homework.

Which of the following is/are correct and if more than one are correct, do they have same meaning?

1:- Are you still single or you have married.
2:- Are you still single or you have married?
3:- Are you still single or have you married?

Thank you in advance for replying.

Not a teacher.
1) is incorrect because the structure implies a question, but there is no question mark in the end.
2) 'you have' is awkward word order. Hence 3) is the only correct option.

Even with a question mark, 1 would be wrong (not just awkward). The second half would need to be "or have you married?", not "or you have married?"

In BrE, "have you married" is quite old-fashioned. I would expect either "Are you still single or are you married?" or the simpler "Are you single?" It's a straight question. There are two answers: "Yes" or "No, [I'm married]".

And I think you can say "have you married someone?"

not a teacher.

Last edited:

Please do not post answers to questions without indicating that you are not a teacher.

I like ems's answer. Are you still single or are you married?

not a teacher.

The "someone" is redundant. With the exception of a few very odd people who fall in love with inanimate objects (fences, toasters) and try to get someone to carry out a "wedding ceremony" for them, people marry people. It doesn't matter what gender. If you ask "Have you married?" or "Did you marry?" or "Did you get married?" etc, the "[to] someone" is implied.

If you want to save even more time/breath/keystrokes/printer ink, just ask 'Are you still single?' The alternative is understood.

Possible replies might be 'Sadly, yes', or 'No — I married my childhood sweetheart, Annie Mossity'.

Difficult girl, Annie, so full of anger. ;-)

I value your suggestion highly but to frame such question was to clear my doubts regarding grammar. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back