as for their gimp-legged, flat-footed, flossy Eurotartsie fly-by-night crowd... they did nothing for me either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello everyone. I encountered this expression, "as for their gimp-legged, flat-footed, flossy Eurotartsie fly-by-night crowd... they did nothing for me either", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means in the following sentences:

“I’m here because Fred Pasternak had the invitation messengered to me and told me to come. I suspect he’s stood me up. I didn’t even know of this party until late this afternoon.” In my efforts to exonerate myself and leave no doubt about my credentials, I began to spill more details than necessary, precisely the way liars do when a simple lie would have done well enough. I was also going to add that I hadn’t even wanted to go to a party tonight—and besides, I wasn’t even hungry, and as for their gimp-legged, flat-footed, flossy Eurotartsie fly-by-night crowd gathered round two hosts ignominiously named Hansel and Gretel, they did nothing for me either—so there!

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, First Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. This novel is narrated by the nameless male protagonist. The protagonist meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Here, when it is revealed that the protagonist is not a friend of either of the two hosts of the party, the protagonist is explaining how he came to the party.

Here, I learned in the dictionary that "gimp-legged" can mean "limping in leg", and that "flat-footed" means that someone has a flat foot. But I am not sure how this "flossy (=excessively showy)" and "fly-by-night (=irresponsible)" crowd can be described as "gimp-legged" and "flat-footed".

Also, I just couldn't find anything about "Eurotartsie", so I have absolutely no idea as to what that might mean... o_O

Lastly, as for "do nothing for me," I learned in the dictionary that it can mean "do not enhance the quality of something", but I am not sure whether that meaning can fit into this context, so I just wanted to ask you.

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
  • 'Gimp' is a pejorative for someone with a physical disability, especially a lame or injured leg.
  • People with flat feet sometimes walk with a slapping motion, as the entire sole of their foot touches the ground.
  • 'Fly by night' has to do with avoiding responsibility (especially financial).
  • 'Eurotartsie' is a neologism or portmanteau of Euro(pean) and 'tarts' (morally loose or sexually promiscuous women). The 'ie' suffix can be used as a (often derogatory) suffix meaning one associated with said noun word (roadie, townie). It's also used as an endearing diminutive (dearie, sweetie); however such use in this case would be mockingly.
She's just stringing together a bunch of insults to show her general distaste for the crowd. She's insinuating they walk funny, dress ridiculously, and behave in a morally distasteful manner. I don't think the first two are references to actual physical conditions, just that they walk and move like someone with actual deformities.
  • 'Do nothing for me' just means that she wasn't impressed or intrigued by the hosts - essentially the meaning you found.

Last edited:

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Skrej,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
So, the speaker is saying a series of insults in order to say ill of these people; they walk in a lame manner with a slapping motion, as if they are gimp-legged and flat-footed. Also, they appear to tend to avoid responsibilities when it came to economic problems (=fly-by-night). They are also excessively showy (=flossy). Also, they are European sexually promiscuous women, and they are being referred to in a mocking manner with the diminutive "-ie".

So all in all, the speaker is saying they walked foolishly, and dressed in an excessively showy manner, and seemed to take no responsibilities in terms of economic problems, and all of them were European women who were sexually promiscuous. And they did not impress the speaker, did not appear good to the speaker (="they did nothing for me").

Unless "tart" also refers to men, not just to women, I learned that "tartsie" would mean sexually promiscuous women especially. There appeared to be many men and women at the party, but the most remarkable sex to the speaker might have been the women, I guess. :D

I truly appreciate your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.