Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello
I have two questions to ask, but I am asking them in a single thread, because I think they need not to be posted separately.
The following questions are simple to answer for a native speaker, but they are confusing for me, so forgive me that I ask about such trifles.

1- Does "him" refer to "villain" or does it refer to "the hookhanded man"?
They knew Count Olaf was referring to the hookhanded man, who had been working with the villain as long as they had known him and was one of their least favorite of Olaf’s comrades.
2-Does "itself" which is a reflexive pronoun, refer to "Queequeg" or does it refer to "the round, metal room" which is the subject of the sentence?
“On the way to the brig, I’ll give you the grand tour!” Olaf announced, leading the way out of the round, metal room that was serving as a sort of brig for the Queequeg itself.

Source: "The Grim Grotto" Novel by Daniel Handler

Last edited:
1) It isn't clear. Is Count Olaf the villain? Who is 'they'? We need more context.

2) The Queequeg.

Hello.

I have two questions to ask, but I am asking them in a single thread no comma here because I think they need not [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] be posted separately. The following questions are simple to answer for a native speaker no comma here but they are confusing for me, so forgive me [STRIKE]that I ask[/STRIKE] for asking about such trifles.

[STRIKE]My first question is:[/STRIKE]

1. "They knew Count Olaf was referring to the hookhanded man, who had been working with the villain as long as they had known him and was one of their least favorite of Olaf’s comrades."
Does "him" refer to "villain" or does it refer to "the hookhanded man"?

[STRIKE]And the second one is:[/STRIKE]
2. “On the way to the brig, I’ll give you the grand tour!” Olaf announced, leading the way out of the round, metal room that was serving as a sort of brig for the Queequeg itself."
Does "itself", which is a reflexive pronoun, refer to "Queequeg" or does it refer to "the round, metal room", which is the subject of the sentence?

Source: "The Grim Grotto" no comma here Novel by Daniel Handler

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

Please note my corrections above.

Thank you.

"Villain" refers to "Count Olaf".
"They" refers to "the Baudelaires", who are not mentioned here.

Last edited:
Thank you.

"Villain" refers to "Count Olaf".
"They" refers to "the Baudelaires", [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] who are not mentioned here.

Note my corrections above.

1- Does "him" refer to "villain" or does it refer to "the hook-handed man"?
They knew Count Olaf was referring to the hook-handed man, who had been working with the villain as long as they had known him and was one of their least favorite of Olaf’s comrades.
Source: "The Grim Grotto" Novel by Daniel Handler

Here 'him' refers to Count Olaf. The hook-handed man has worked with Olaf as long as the children have known Olaf.

Count Olaf is the main antagonist in the series of children's books A Series of Unfortunate Events. For those who care, he orchestrates the death of the Baudelaire parents, then poses as distant relative under the guise of next of kin in order to seize control of their sizable inheritance.

Daniel Handler uses the pseudonym Lemony Snickett as both a nom de plume and a fictional character who narrates the books.

I may have, uh, read a few of the books out of boredom. Not the entire series, mind you.

Last edited:
For those who care, he orchestrates the death of the Baudelaire parents, then poses as distant relative under the guise of next of kin in order to seize control of their sizable inheritance.

Well, I did care until you went and spoiled it for me, Skrej! I was just about to settle down with some hot cocoa and read it. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back