"As the ice melts and divides into drops, so life divides itself into separate forms" (Longfellow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Greetings,

Below is a Reed-Kellogg diagram that I have attempted to draw for the following ornate sentence (simplified in the title of this thread) from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's novel Hyperion, in celebration of the sentence's beauty:

"As the ice upon the mountain, when the warm breath of the summer sun breathes upon it, melts, and divides into drops, each of which reflects an image of the sun; so life, in the smile of God's love, divides itself into separate forms, each bearing in it and reflecting an image of God's love." - Longfellow

I haven't seen TheParser here in a while, and I'm not sure if any current members here besides him and me are interested in Reed-Kellogg diagramming. Nevertheless, I thought I'd start this thread, in case other members, unbeknownst to me, are interested in these diagrams, and in case anyone can examine my diagram for accuracy.

I have made two "daring" moves in my diagram. One is to represent the absolute construction as attached to "forms" (to which "each" refers) as a prepositional phrase with an elided preposition, namely, "with." The other is to represent the "As . . . so . . ." structure as involving cosubordination and clause-level modification.

I have found no precedents of diagramming "as . . . so . . ." constructions, especially of this kind, which is not exactly parallel to the "As ye sow, so shall ye reap" variety. Apart from how I have chosen to diagram the structure, I am interested in the question whether "as" and "so" attach to their respective clauses as wholes.

Thank you.

Longfellow.JPG

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not skilled in diagramming, Phaedrus, but I would like to join you in celebration of such a delightful sentence. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.