Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I used to create at topic to ask about "the figures" and "the comparative figures", there were too many discussions around it but I haven't found my answer, it was closed for some reason (I don't know why). Therefore I post this topic and my homework here to make it more clearly.

Here is some points: An English teacher suggested me to use "the comparative figures" not "the figures" in my writing task 1, but my teacher said that he rarely saw anyone use the word "the comparative figures", he asked some IELTS examiners about it and they told him the same, he also showed me that Cambridge dictionary doesn't use that word. But I found some examples in Longman dictionary, which also uses comparative figures. So I really confused.
Moreover, there is a topic saying that we shouldn't use "in turn" as a replacement for "respectively" in writing task 1. Does it right or wrong?

Here is my text:

It is clear that doctors in the US earned 120,000 per year, nearly three times (as high as) the amount earned by workers in other areas at about 42,000. The comparative figures for Czech, Germany and Italy were slightly different, with annual income for doctors being around 65,000, 62,000 and 60,000 respectively, which was about triple that for other workers in those three countries, at around 20,000. While salaries for doctors in France, Switzerland were on par, at about 70,000 in 2004, slightly higher than income for doctors in Finland 50,000, salaries for other employees in those countries were only half of that, at about 40,000, 30,000 and 25,000 respectively (or in turn)

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
... it was closed for some reason (I don't know why). Therefore I post this topic and my homework here to make it more clearly.

Well, this time, you've clearly stated the reason I'm about to close this thread. The forum rules, which you will have read in full when you joined, state that we do not help with homework or assignments.

You must do your homework yourself, without any external help. That's the only way your teacher/tutor can work out what your strengths and weaknesses are. When you get your marked homework back, you can come back to us for clarification of any corrections or comments from your teacher (if your teacher can't explain them).

Thread closed.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) comparable [STRIKE]comparative[/STRIKE] figures
2) respectively [STRIKE](or in turn)[/STRIKE]

I closed your previous thread on this subject because it had become a fruitless discussion about whether "comparative" was possible in your sentence and other, similar ones. You weren't involved in that discussion, as far as I can remember.

Only "comparable" is correct here. Sometimes native speakers get this wrong, so you can find examples using the other word. This does not mean they use it correctly.

I'd like this thread to be limited to mtrhuynh and native speakers. Anyone else who wishes to discuss this question should start a new one.

[EDIT: Cross-posted with emsr2d2. I didn't notice that this was homework. You're welcome to post a similar question after you've gotten your homework back from your teacher.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.