Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
But its 17,300-acre wildlife concession is smaller than you'll find at the nearby Xaranna, and the tents lack Xaranna's soaking tubes and private plunge pools.

In this sentence, could I:

1. say "...is smaller than what you'll find at the nearby Xaranna,...?"

2. say "...is smaller than that you'll find at the nearby Xaranna,...?"

Thanks.

Source: https://www.oyster.com/articles/glamp-like-a-champ-5-awesome-spots/

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1 is acceptable and 2 is rather unnatural, but neither is as good as the original, which is correct and natural as written. Why would you want to change it?

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1 is acceptable and 2 is rather unnatural, but neither is as good as the original, which is correct and natural as written. Why would you want to change it?
Because when I am reading an English article, I always try to find some sentences that don't seem to match the grammar points I was taught in class or in grammar books, and that's why I have this question.

Some people say in the OP sentence, I can't use what after than because the author is comparing two wildlife concessions and not one wildlife concession and something. Is that right?

And how about this sentence:

The books in this library are fewer than those you'll find across the street.
The books in this library are fewer than what you'll find across the street.

In the above two sentences, is using those better and more idiomatic than using what?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

This library has fewer books than the one across the street.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
1. say "...is smaller than what you'll find at the nearby Xaranna,...?"
OK. It means "is smaller than any wildlife concession (or such similar area/reservation) you'll find at the nearby ..."
2. say "...is smaller than that you'll find at the nearby Xaranna,...?"
OK. It means "is smaller than the particular wildlife concession (you'll find) at the nearby ..."
Some people say in the OP sentence, I can't use what after than because the author is comparing two wildlife concessions and not one wildlife concession and something. Is that right?
No. That is incorrect, because "what" has a broad range and can encompass "wildlife concession" in that context.
And how about this these sentences?

The books in this library are fewer than those you'll find across the street.
The books in this library are fewer than what you'll find across the street.
Those are unnatural. Say: "There are fewer books in this library than (what) you'll find across the street". But let's use, for instance, "older" to test your example:
The books in this library are older than those you'll find across the street.
The books in this library are older than what you'll find across the street.
Those work.
In the above two sentences, is using those better and more idiomatic than using what?
It's neither better nor more idiomatic. The same explanation I gave above applies.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But its 17,300-acre wildlife concession is smaller than you'll find at the nearby Xaranna, and the tents lack Xaranna's soaking tubes and private plunge pools.

Source: https://www.oyster.com/articles/glamp-like-a-champ-5-awesome-spots/

In this sentence, could I say the following?

1. say "... is smaller than what you'll find at the nearby Xaranna, ..."
2. say "... is smaller than that you'll find at the nearby Xaranna, ..."

Thanks. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.
Note my changes and comments above. The original is correct, as you now know. Bear in mind that this kind of journalistic English usage is rarely replicated in everyday speech. If I were to explain the difference between the two venues in a casual chat to a friend, I'd say "The wildlife area there's smaller than the one at Xaranna. Oh, and Xaranna's tents have got soaking tubes and private plunge pools!"

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
OK. It means "is smaller than any wildlife concession (or such similar area/reservation) you'll find at the nearby ..."

OK. It means "is smaller than the particular wildlife concession (you'll find) at the nearby ..."

No. That is incorrect, because "what" has a broad range and can encompass "wildlife concession" in that context.

Those are unnatural. Say: "There are fewer books in this library than (what) you'll find across the street". But let's use, for instance, "older" to test your example:
So "There are fewer books in this library than (what) you'll find across the street".

And "There are fewer books in this library than (those) you'll find across the street".

Both sentences are correct and idiomatic?
Those work.

It's neither better nor more idiomatic. The same explanation I gave above applies.

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

So using "The books" as a beginning of this sentence is unidiomatic?
Those work.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So 1. "There are fewer books in this library than (what) you'll find across the street".
And 2. "There are fewer books in this library than (those) you'll find across the street".

Are both sentences are correct and idiomatic?
I wouldn't use either. You'll hear some native speakers use #1. When I was a child, I'd have been told off for using that "what". #2 is incorrect. Again, bear in mind that you're unlikely to hear that ending from native speakers. We'd just say "There are fewer books in this library than [in] the one across the street".

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I wouldn't use either. You'll hear some native speakers use #1. When I was a child, I'd have been told off for using that "what". #2 is incorrect. Again, bear in mind that you're unlikely to hear that ending from native speakers. We'd just say "There are fewer books in this library than [in] the one across the street".
I am just wondering why "There are fewer books in this library than those you'll find across the street." is wrong.

For me, it is grammatically correct. Is it because it it unidiomatic?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am just wondering why "There are fewer books in this library than those you'll find across the street." is wrong.

For me, it is grammatically correct.
It isn't.

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
those = books
That comparison is flawed.
Basically, "fewer" is talking about the number of books, so you can't compare the number of books with books.
So if I say:

"There are fewer books in this library than what you'll find across the street."
"There are fewer books in this library than that you'll find across the street." is wrong.

In these cases, "what" and "that" stand for "the number of books" not "books." Is that right?

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"What" can, but "that" doesn't.
How about:

The number of books in this library is smaller than that in that one across the street.
The number of books in this library is smaller than that of books in that one across the street.

Which one is idiomatic and correct?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The number of books in this library is smaller than that in that one across the street.
That one is grammatical but clumsy.
The number of books in this library is smaller than that of books in that one across the street.
That one is ungrammatical.

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
That one is grammatical but clumsy.

That one is ungrammatical.
So "The number of students in this school is four times as many as that of students in my school." is also wrong?

If it is wrong, how could I modify it?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The numbers of the machines are twice as many as those of ten years ago.

In this sentence, could I use number instead of numbers?

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Do you have the following usage in English:

1. The number of students in this school is three times as many as that of students in that school.

2. This school owns three times as many students as that school does.