Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Which one is correct : 1) "Bring our son to the clinic" or 2) "Take our son to the clinic"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In British English, #1 is correct if you are at the clinic, your wife is at home and you want her to drive your son to the clinic.

#2 is correct if you all three of you are at home and you want your wife to drive your son to the clinic.

Speakers of American English will answer for themselves when they get up in a few hours' time.

In the meantime, click here, scroll down to the sixth entry and read earlier threads on this topic.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In British English, #1 is correct if you are at the clinic, your wife is at home and you want her to drive your son to the clinic.

#2 is correct if you all three of you are at home and you want your wife to drive your son to the clinic.

Speakers of American English will answer for themselves when they get up in a few hours' time.

It's the same in AmE.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The thing is, I so often hear speakers of American and Irish English say 'bring' when they should say 'take' that I was wondering if frequency of usage has begun to accord it some measure of legitimacy.

Alan to Jake in 'Two and a Half Men': 'Get dressed – I have to bring you to your mother's this morning'.

Former Irish colleague of mine to her class: 'Bring your PE bags home tonight and get your kit washed'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It still throws me when my Irish friends use "bring" instead of "take". Just the other day, my Irish colleague at work said "I'm sorry I'm late. I had to bring my son to school".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So it's not just me.:cool:

Status