Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I have written this review for my CAE qualification. I would appreciate some feedback on how to improve it.
”The editor of an entertainment magazine has asked readers to write reviews of TV series. You decide to write a review which compares two TV series you have watched, one you enjoyed and one you didn’t. In your review, briefly describe the two series, explain why one was better than the other and suggest ways in which the other one could be improved”.

TV SERIES REVIEW
Given how TV series are certainly having a heyday, this review will analyze two well-known ones. I will compare both and make recommendations for the one I liked the least.

”Prison Break” is my go-to series, no matter what my mood is. The plot revolves around two brothers, one of which has unfairly been incarcerated. His sibling, a mastermind, comes up with a mind-blowing plan to do what it takes to save him from death penalty. At first, I expected it to be a quintessential example of an American series, but I was proved wrong. Every episode finished with a cliffhanger, apart from the fact that it also includes a romance story.

On the other hand, other TV series I did not enjoy as much is “Élite”. In it, a crime is committed and so the aim is to discover who the murderer is. The problem came when I realized the two following seasons dealt with exactly the same.
It is protagonized by adolescents in whose lives money is no object, so they go to a sophisticated school that is anything but normal. However, I genuinely believe it was rather difficult to connect with the characters because of poor acting.

To sum up, I consider “Prison Break” praiseworthy. It made me feel a wide array of emotions, what did not happen with “Élite”. I suggest the plotline of the latter needs more work so that it is not so repetitive, and deeper training could well improve the actors’ performance.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You clearly have an advanced vocabulary. Also, you didn't use as many empty phrases this time.

Is one of the brothers on death row?

I have only seen "mastermind" in the phrase "criminal mastermind". I wouldn't use "protagonize" as I don't think it's a word.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Laluuuusii, are you actually reading our responses? I have changed the title of almost all of your threads and in your last one I expressly told you to stop using things like "CAE essay/review" as titles. I advised you to use the title of the piece as your thread title. In this case, it should be "TV series review". We will soon tire of helping you if we think you're taking no notice of our responses.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Laluuuusii's writing style in this thread seems to be quite different from that of his/her previous threads.

laluuuusii

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, he is. I will use “The leading protagonists are…” instead of “It is protagonized by”.

laluuuusii

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Do you mean that in a good way? I have been more careful not to use informal words when I shouldn’t.

laluuuusii

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, I am. I apologize, I didn’t take notice of that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, he is. I will use “The leading protagonists are…” instead of “It is protagonized by”.

It might be good to learn how to use the "Reply with quote" feature.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean that in a good way? I have been more careful not to use informal words when I shouldn’t.

I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. What are you responding to that could be taken more than one way?

In my opinion this one is better than your previous efforts.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have been more careful not to use informal words when I shouldn’t.

I think the problem was more the opposite -- using words that are rarely if ever used, leading to weirdness.
:-D

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with Tarheel. Your choice of vocabulary has improved. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.