Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There is contradictory information from leading English grammar websites regarding whether a subject complement can be an adverb/adverbial phrase. This is for understanding linking verbs.

Cambridge site says subject complement can be an adverb/adverbial phrase/prepositional phrase as well. Very few other sites concur with that statement.
’m upstairs. (subject + adverb phrase)
It still smells of paint in here. (subject + prepositional phrase)

Most of the sites list adjective phrases and noun phrases, and some list prepositional phrases along with the former two.
for example, grammermonster.com, thesaurus.com, britishcouncil.org, etc.

If adverbs are listed, then in "I am upstairs" 'be' is a linking verb.
If the prepositional phrase is listed, then in "Huge Tornado is in Texas now,' 'be" is a linking verb. Otherwise in these cases "Be' has to be taken as a stative verb.

Is there a consensus?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It seems from what you've said that there isn't a concensus.

This is how I'd analyse your sentences:

I am upstairs.
A tornado is in Texas.

Both 'upstairs' and 'in Texas' are preposition phrases, functioning as complements. The verbs 'am' and 'is' are linking verbs, both locative.

You should know that I'm not a grammarian nor have I had any formal training in syntax.

Last edited:

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is contradictory information from leading English grammar websites regarding whether a subject complement can be an adverb/adverbial phrase. . . . Most of the sites list adjective phrases and noun phrases, and some list prepositional phrases along with the former two. . . .

If the prepositional phrase is listed, then in "Huge Tornado is in Texas now,' 'be" is a linking verb. Otherwise in these cases "Be' has to be taken as a stative verb.
Some prepositional phrases after BE function adjectivally rather than adverbially. They are clearly subject complements and can be replaced by adjectives:

He was on time. [= He was punctual.]
He is at fault. [= He is responsible.]

When locative prepositional phrases follow BE, however, their function is not clearly adjectival, and BE is not clearly a linking verb.

He is in the kitchen.
?? He seems in the kitchen. / ?? He became in the kitchen.

The variations with seem and become would, of course, be OK if they were changed to He seems to be in the kitchen / He came to be in the kitchen.

It seems to me that, in sentences like He is in the kitchen, there is, as it were, the ghost of a stative passive with a past participle like located or situated:

He is located in the kitchen.
He is situated in the kitchen.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
There is contradictory information from leading English grammar websites regarding whether a subject complement can be an adverb/adverbial phrase. This is for understanding linking verbs.

Cambridge site says subject complement can be an adverb/adverbial phrase/prepositional phrase as well. Very few other sites concur with that statement.

Most of the sites list adjective phrases and noun phrases, and some list prepositional phrases along with the former two.
for example, grammermonster.com, thesaurus.com, britishcouncil.org, etc.

Is there a consensus?

Generally, subjective predicative complements consist of adjective or noun phrases:

Ed is very kind. [adjective phrase]
Ed is a good teacher. [noun phrase]

Or preposition phrases:

We are in your debt.
Ed is in a bad temper.
Kim is
upstairs.

And occasionally an adverb phrase:

The only way to cook it is very slowly.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Generally, subjective predicative complements consist of adjective or noun phrases:

Ed is very kind. [adjective phrase]
Ed is a good teacher. [noun phrase]

Or preposition phrases:

We are in your debt.
Ed is in a bad temper.
Kim is
upstairs.

And occasionally an adverb phrase:

The only way to cook it is very slowly.

If you don't mind my asking, PaulMatthews, how would you categorize the "is" and parse the prepositional phrase in "A huge tornado is in Texas" (OP)?

Is "is" a copula and "in Texas" a subject complement, or is "is" a non-copulative verb and "in Texas" an adjunct (cf. "A huge tornado exists in Texas")?

Perhaps there is another analysis available. I know I wouldn't naturally use "exists" in that sentence! But I wouldn't paraphrase with a copula, either:

?*A huge tornado seems in Texas / *A huge tornado has become in Texas / *A huge tornado looks in Texas.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't imagine a scenario in which a native speaker would say "A huge tornado is in Texas".

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
If you don't mind my asking, PaulMatthews, how would you categorize the "is" and parse the prepositional phrase in IIUIR determiners " (OP)?

Is "is" a copula and "in Texas" a subject complement, or is "is" a non-copulative verb and "in Texas" an adjunct (cf. "A huge tornado exists in Texas")?

Perhaps there is another analysis available. I know I wouldn't naturally use "exists" in that sentence! But I wouldn't paraphrase with a copula, either:

?*A huge tornado seems in Texas / *A huge tornado has become in Texas / *A huge tornado looks in Tex

A huge tornado [is in Texas].

Yes, "is" is copular here, so the bracketed element is a copular clause with the underlined preposition phrase as locative complement of "is".

Grammatically, the preposition phrase must be a complement, not an adjunct, because it is required to complete the verb phrase. Obligatory items are always complements.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can't imagine a scenario in which a native speaker would say "A huge tornado is in Texas".
I would mark it as incorrect if a learner produced it.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A huge tornado [is in Texas].

Yes, "is" is copular here, so the bracketed element is a copular clause with the underlined preposition phrase as locative complement of "is".

Grammatically, the preposition phrase must be a complement, not an adjunct, because it is required to complete the verb phrase. Obligatory items are always complements.

I'm trying to make sense of the idea that "in Texas" is a subject complement in that sentence, as it presumably must be if "is" is indeed copular there.

But let's change the example, for those who find "A huge tornado is in Texas" unnatural and nonnative. We don't have to use an example from the OP.

Bob is in the kitchen.

Do you parse "in the kitchen" in that sentence as bearing precisely the same syntactic relationship to "Bob" as "in shape" does in the following?

Bob is in shape.

Please note that, as I understand syntax, not all complements of verbs are subject complements. The latter occur only in copular clauses.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I'm trying to make sense of the idea that "in Texas" is a subject complement in that sentence, as it presumably must be if "is" is indeed copular there.

But let's change the example, for those who find "A huge tornado is in Texas" unnatural and nonnative. We don't have to use an example from the OP.

Bob is in the kitchen.

Do you parse "in the kitchen" in that sentence as bearing precisely the same syntactic relationship to "Bob" as "in shape" does in the following?

Bob is in shape.

Please note that, as I understand syntax, not all complements of verbs are subject complements. The latter occur only in copular clauses.

Yes, they are both complements of "is", and like predicative complements they are (in this case) subject-oriented.

rajnair7

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Well, I missed replying as I couldn't get the exact link. However, the website lists it among the Stative verbs. Sure the site is from the US.

Quote from the website:

"Stative verb examples

The following sentences use a variety of stative verbs. Remember, stative verbs describe states of being or conditions rather than actions. Look at each sentence and consider what each stative verb actually means.

• The entire town supports the new tax law.
  • Judging by her reaction, I don’t think she liked how the soup tasted.
  • He has a summer home in the Bahamas.
  • The huge tornado is in Texas right now."
Ref: https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/stative-verbs/.

Thanks.

rajnair7

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That isn't the same as "A huge tornado is in Texas".
Your explanation doesn't make any sense. I checked it with a leading grammar correction software and if the earlier one is wrong, this is wrong too. If that is correct, this one is right too. ( as per some other grammar software). The suggestion that one found is to use 'colossal' instead of huge.

Attachments

• Huge Tornado.JPG
    Huge Tornado.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your explanation doesn't make any sense. I checked it with a leading grammar correction software and if the earlier one is wrong, this is wrong too. If that is correct, this one is right too no full stop here (as per some other grammar software). The suggestion suggested solution that one found gave is to use 'colossal' instead of huge.
Are you choosing to believe "grammar correction software" over a native speaker about what's natural and what isn't? If so, maybe we can't help you on the forum.

There are plenty of scenarios in which a sentence starting "There's a/an [noun]" is natural but a version of it starting "A/An [noun] is ..." isn't natural.

There's a fly in my soup. (Grammatically correct and natural.)
A fly is in my soup. (Grammatically correct but unnatural.)

There's a massive rainstorm here this evening. (Grammatically correct and natural.)
A massive rainstorm is here this evening. (Grammatically correct but unnatural.)

There's a horrible smell in this room. (Grammatically correct and natural.)
A horrible smell is in this room. (Grammatically correct but unnatural.)

rajnair7

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are you choosing to believe "grammar correction software" over a native speaker about what's natural and what isn't? If so, maybe we can't help you on the forum.

There are plenty of scenarios in which a sentence starting "There's a/an [noun]" is natural but a version of it starting "A/An [noun] is ..." isn't natural.

There's a fly in my soup. (Grammatically correct and natural.)
A fly is in my soup. (Grammatically correct but unnatural.)

There's a massive rainstorm here this evening. (Grammatically correct and natural.)
A massive rainstorm is here this evening. (Grammatically correct but unnatural.)

There's a horrible smell in this room. (Grammatically correct and natural.)
A horrible smell is in this room. (Grammatically correct but unnatural.)
I see. So it is unnatural. So is 'It is I' and " 'The burglar is he," which is correct. Anyway, I got help from Paulmathews, Holmes, and justFrank. And from some other forums like this too.

Thanks for your 'valuable' input.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see. So it is unnatural. So is 'It is I' and "The burglar is he no full stop here", which is correct. Anyway, I got help from PaulMatthews, Holmes, and justFrank jutfrank, and from some other forums like this too.

Thanks for your inputs input.

rajnair7

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for the additional correction - especially the names of forum members - even though not about the question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your 'valuable' input.
I notice that you've edited post #15 to add the sarcastic "valuable". I assume you hoped it would go unnoticed since I'd already responded to that post and made the relevant corrections. If so, you were wrong. I noticed and must tell you that we don't take kindly to such comments. Everyone here is trying to help you and we're doing it for free. I suggest you show a little more gratitude.

Thanks for the additional correction - especially the names of forum members - even though not about the question.
You're more than welcome. You'll see, the longer you're a member here, that we correct every error in learners' posts. We would be doing you a disservice if we failed to do so. Your question has already been answered.
Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.