Can I use twinkle for the light of flames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can I use twinkle for the light of flames?

Is this okay?

Jane's room was in darkness except for the twinkle of the fireplace flames.

Does twinkle suggest the light is dim?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Flicker is more natural.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'd also like to learn alternatives as I've already used flicker. Is "twinkle" not correct? What other options are there?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it could, but not in the context described. It you want to use 'twinkle' for something like a steady flame, the fire is going to have to be at great enough distance from the viewer that atmospheric disturbances cause interruptions. That's why for example we say stars 'twinkle'.

If you're viewing a campfire from say across a large lake, you might think of it as twinkling, but not sitting in the same room.

If the fire has died down to just embers, you could use something like 'glow' - i.e. 'the glow of the dying fire'.

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think it could, but not in the context described. It you want to use 'twinkle' for something like a steady flame, the fire is going to have to be at great enough distance from the viewer that atmospheric disturbances cause interruptions. That's why for example we say stars 'twinkle'.

If you're viewing a campfire from say across a large lake, you might think of it as twinkling, but not sitting in the same room.

If the fire has died down to just embers, you could use something like 'glow' - i.e. 'the glow of the dying fire'.
Can't glow be used for a burning fireplace? Is this okay?

Jane's gaze drifted across the room, settling on the fireplace whose flames cast the room in a fluttering glow.

Status
Not open for further replies.