Can you change two hundred for two hundred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How should I ask a question in a shop if I have 200$ and I want 2 x 100$?
I suppose the following isn't correct? :lol:

Can you change two hundred for two hundred?

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Yes, that's incorrect. If you wanted to be cheeky/confusing, you could say "Can you change my two hundred into two hundreds." But don't do that.

Here's one way to say this more clearly: "I have $200 total. Can you change it to two hundred dollar bills?"

Last edited:

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
What if I simply ask: "Can you change two hundred dollars?" and someone else asks: "How do you want it"? What should I answer?

Natural: "(In) hundreds." (You can leave out the "in.")

More verbose/polite: "Can I get it in hundred dollar bills?"

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the United States you can say Can you break two hundreds/two hundred-dollar bills? Because this is a common way to pass counterfeit bills, you should only ask someone who knows you pretty well to do it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would be very suspicious of someone who wants me to break a 200 dollar bill.

It's like the old joke about the counterfeiter who made a batch of $18 bills. He figured he'd have to go to some podunk backwards town to pass them.

Sure enough, he asks the cashier at a store if she can break an 18. She says "Sure! Do you want two nines or three sixes?"

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
slevlife, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

You can put it into your signature line so it appears at the bottom of every post you write,

(Click Settings, and then Edit Signature.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How should I ask a question in a shop if I have $200 in small bills and I want two hundreds?

Like that. (Note the correct position of the dollar sign.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't make sense to say you want hundred-dollar bills in exchange for hundred-dollar bills.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Do you have smaller bills/notes to change a $200 note with me?

You can't expect the other person to have exactly the notes (2 x $100) you want.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In the United States you can say Can you break two hundreds/two hundred-dollar bills? Because this is a common way to pass counterfeit bills, you should only ask someone who knows you pretty well to do it.

OK, maybe my example with dollars wasn't good. :-D I am going to Mexico on holiday. In my exchange office they had only 500 mexican peso notes of denomination. In Mexico I would like to change it because it is a huge denomination there.

Do you have smaller bills/notes to change a $200 note with me?

You can't expect the other person to have exactly the notes (2 x $100) you want.

You are right, so I will ask "Have you got change for 500 mexican pesos?" and accept whatever they give me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, maybe my example with dollars wasn't good. :-D I am going to Mexico on holiday. In my exchange office, they had only [STRIKE]500 Mexican[/STRIKE] 500-peso notes. [STRIKE]of denomination.[/STRIKE] In Mexico, I would like to change it because it is a huge denomination there.

You are right, so I will ask "Have you got change for 500 [STRIKE]Mexican[/STRIKE] pesos?" and accept whatever they give me.

Remember to capitalise all proper nouns. You remembered to do "Mexico" but missed it twice with "Mexican".
It's simply a 500-peso note, not a "500 Mexican peso note of denomination".
Once you're in Mexico, there's definitely no need to specify "Mexican peso". Your question won't work because it doesn't make it clear that you have a single note worth 500 pesos. You could be asking them for change for 25 20-peso notes. Use something like:

- Can you change a 500-peso note into something smaller?
- Can you give me five 100-peso notes for a 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.