Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi, everybody!

"The learned man aims for more. But the wise man decreases. And then decreases again".

I read this phrase in the book "Choose yourself". Can't understand what it means. I can't understand what "wise man decreases".

Thank you help as always.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Without context, I have no idea what they're talking about. What is the rest of the chapter about? The learned man aims for more what? How can a man decrease? Are you sure the title is "Chose Yourself?"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It might mean that the learned person always aims to learn more, but the wise person focuses their intelligence on a narrower field in order to gain wisdom rather than simply increasing their knowledge.

Cherryaa

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
This is a strange excerpt! I assume it's talking about the difference between learning and wisdom. A person can be highly learned but unwise; many very wise people are not well educated.

In this context, the author is saying that highly educated people seek to increase their knowledge (information) while the wise seek to improve their insight. For the author, this seems to mean a wise person removes all extraneous information from her consideration of an issue, then pares it down again until only the core issue remains. I disagree, but that's not the point ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.