Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the following sentences, which one is correct?

1) You are cent per cent correct.

2) You are hundred per cent correct.

Of the following sentences, which one is correct?

1) You are a cent percent correct.

2) You are a hundred percent correct.
Which do you think? Why?

How much is a cent percent? How much is a hundred percent?

I wonder if perhaps you're trying to use 'cent' as a synonym for the number '100', which you can't do in English.

The word 'cent' does derive from the Latin word 'centum' meaning '100', but we don't use it as a number per se in English. It forms a base root for many English words related to 100, such as century (100 years), percent (per 100), cent (one penny or one hundredth of a dollar), or as a prefix for many units of measurement meaning 'one hundredth of' (centigram, centiliter, centimeter).

Of course, several Romance languages do use 'cent' (or a derivative of it) for the actual number one hundred, just not English.

However, if your first sentence was as attempt to say the person was only 1% correct , then you'd have to use something like "You are one percent correct."

However, that's a rather odd and unnatural way to express that someone is almost entirely incorrect. I'd assume it was an attempt at humor or hyperbole, because nobody would actually say that in seriousness.

Note also Charlie's correction regarding the difference of 'percent' (out of 100) vs. 'per cent' (per each cent).

Barman, have you figured out the right choice yet?

Barman, have you figured out the right choice yet?

I think number 2) is the right choice.

I understand that 'Cent' means hundredth part of a monetary unit.

Cent percent = 1/100

Hundred percent = 100/100

Last edited:
"Cent percent" is comonly used in India but not in AmE or BrE.. I imagine it is also used elsewhere in south Asia.

I understand that 'Cent' means hundredth part of a monetary unit.

Cent percent = 1/100:cross:

A/one hundred percent = 100/100
See above. A cent is a unit of currency, not a number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back