Children gain much experience from doing paid work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Children gain much experience from doing paid work.

1. What is the correct preposition to use before "doing": 'from' or 'by'?

2. Is this grammatical: "... gain much experience from engaging in paid work"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. Different prepositions have different meanings. If you're thinking that paid work is the source of experience gain, then use from. If you're thinking that paid work is the manner of experience gain, use by. My guess is that you mean the latter.

2. This isn't about grammar, but meaning. Your use of the gerund phrase tells me you're slightly more likely to be thinking about manner, in which case you should use by. However, it is possible you're thinking about the gerund phrase as a source, in which case you should use from.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
1. Different prepositions have different meanings. If you're thinking that paid work is the source of experience gain, then use from. If you're thinking that paid work is the manner of experience gain, use by. My guess is that you mean the latter.

2. This isn't about grammar, but meaning. Your use of the gerund phrase tells me you're slightly more likely to be thinking about manner, in which case you should use by. However, it is possible you're thinking about the gerund phrase as a source, in which case you should use from.
Actually, I was trying to say that whenever children do paid work, they gain experience in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.