Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can we replace 'learn' with 'study' without any change of meaning in this particular sentence?
Children learn English from an early age in most European countries.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. Of course, there will be some change of meaning if you replace one word with a different word. However, you're right that in this context, the writer is really talking about education systems and the age at which children begin to receive instruction. The act of learning is (probably) not really relevant to the point.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Large numbers of students study a subject without really learning it.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Large numbers of students study a subject without really learning it.
How is it possible? :-? Do you mean they just attend the university without making any effort to gain knowledge?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can I say "I've studied the lines of this poem (play), but I haven't learned them"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Can I say "I've studied the lines of this poem (play), but I haven't learned them"?

Yes. In that context, learned means rote memorization. And in response to your other question, in my experience some students (including me in my youth) attend university to party and drink beer rather than to learn.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How is it possible? :-? Do you mean they just attend the university without making any effort to gain knowledge?
That happens a lot. But foreign language is a great example of an area where a lot of study often doesn't bring learning. Many people just don't have the aptitude or don't study long enough to come close to actually learning the language they study.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sometimes a nodding acquaintance with a language is all people need. My wife is Indian and I've spent a lot of time in India, where the educated classes all speak English. In order to deal with vendors in the market, taxi drivers and and other less educated people I've learnt a little Hindi. Left, right, straight ahead, and the names of foods are just about all I know or need to know.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes. In that context, learned means rote memorization. And in response to your other question, in my experience some students (including me in my youth) attend university to party and drink beer rather than to learn.

Yes, here in Russsia we also have a similar problem with students (the only difference might be that students do not party a lot, they just ignore the assignments for some reason or other). So 'to study' can only mean 'to be a sudent', 'to go to/attend' or 'be officially enrolled into' in some contexts, right? (We have a similar use of the word which is equivalent to 'study': 'to study' = 'to be a student').

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So 'to study' can only mean 'to be a student', 'to go to/attend' or 'be officially enrolled into' in some contexts, right?.
No.

Look up study in a couple of the dictionaries at www.onelook.com. You'll find that it has a range of possible meanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.