[Grammar] "CO2 plays a critical role in maintaining the balance in Earth's atmosphere and the a

Status
Not open for further replies.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
"CO2 plays a critical role in maintaining the balance in Earth's atmosphere and the a

I think that the following sentence is an example of parallel structure:

"CO2 plays a critical role in maintaining the balance in Earth's atmosphere and the air we breathe."

Now,I want to know which part participates in balancing. 1 or 2.

1 "CO2 plays a critical role in maintaining the balance in Earth's atmosphere and (in maintaining the balance in) the air we breathe."

2 "CO2 plays a critical role in maintaining the balance in Earth's atmosphere and (plays a critical role in)the air we breathe."

Re: "CO2 plays a critical role in maintaining the balance in Earth's atmosphere and t

I read it as 1.

Re: "CO2 plays a critical role in maintaining the balance in Earth's atmosphere and t

Only 1 is logical.

If I want to expand it , would the following be correct?

"CO2 plays a critical role in maintaining the balance in Earth's atmosphere, and it also plays a critical role in maintaining the balance in the air we breathe."

It's unnecessarily repetitive.

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum, Robert.

Please read this extract from the Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back