Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Are these sentences correct?

1) I corrected his essay for grammar.
2) I corrected his essay for grammatical errors.
3) I corrected his essay for grammaticality.

If they are, what does 'for' mean in them?

Could you give examples of 'for' being used in this manner?

I understand the sentences but I have looked in the AHD but don't think I've found a meaning that really corresponds to this usage.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Those sentences don't work for me. I'd say:

1. I checked his essay for grammatical errors.
2. I corrected the grammatical errors in his essay.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are these sentences correct?

1) I corrected his essay for grammar.
2) I corrected his essay for grammatical errors.
3) I corrected his essay for grammaticality.

If they are, what does 'for' mean in them?
Who wrote them? If you wrote them yourself, what did you mean by "for"? If you didn't write them yourself, you need to tell us who did.

If you have an English spellchecker on your browser, you'll see that "grammaticality" is underlined with a red, squiggly line. That's because it's not an English word.
Could you give examples of 'for' being used in this manner?
In what manner?
I understand the sentences but I have looked in the AHD but don't think I've found a meaning that really corresponds to this usage.
What's the AHD?

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, emsr2d2,

I read that in a letter, then checked googlebooks and was surprised to see that 'corrected for grammar' does exist! I don't like it either, but it seems to be out there.

Here's one example:

How closely was the written work corrected for grammar , spelling , use of words , clearness of sentence - structure ?

Source:

There are many other examples.
cf.

(not all the sentences you'll find there match the same structure as that of the sentence I quoted, but some do)

'Grammaticality' is a real word. I didn't know it was not common.

There are dictionaries that aren't it that list but do mention the word under 'grammatical'.

AHD is the American Heritage Dictionary

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have not seen the verb "correct" used with the preposition "for". The fact that a phrase has been used does not mean it is correct. You correct a written work or you check it for mistakes, as Piscean pointed out. You could also say you correct someone (object) for their grammar.

I think "grammaticality" sounds technical and is rarely used as there are better ways to express a point using simple words rather than jargon. As always, being natural is the key to good writing.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much, emsr2d2.

I read that in a letter, then checked Googlebooks and was surprised to see that 'corrected for grammar' does exist! I don't like it either, but it seems to be out there.
What does "that" refer to? You gave us three sentences. Why would someone include those three sentences in a letter?
Here's one example:
How closely was the written work corrected for grammar, spelling, use of words, clearness of sentence-structure?
Make sure you copy examples exactly. You added incorrect spaces before each comma, before the question mark, and either end of the hyphen.
There are many other examples.
cf.

(Not all the sentences you'll find there match the same structure as that of the sentence I quoted, but some do.)
I didn't say it was incorrect. I'm quite happy with it, despite some of my colleagues' dislike for it. I've certainly said things like "I've proofread your piece for grammar and spelling".
'Grammaticality' is a real word. I didn't know it was not common.
There are dictionaries that aren't it in that list but do mention the word under 'grammatical'.
OK, it just didn't come up when I looked it up. I'd say it's pretty uncommon so I'd discourage you from using it.
AHD is the American Heritage Dictionary.
Thanks. Please write the title out in full in future. Not everyone here will be familiar with the initialism.