Could you correct or reword if necessary these explanations please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,

The simple past is used to narrate past habits, facts, preferences, and schedules. It expresses completed actions at a definite time in the past. In other words, we use the simple past to narrate the principal events of the story.

Which one is better between the following options?
a) The simple present is also used to narrate habits, facts, preferences, and schedules. We use this tense to make the story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid.
b) The simple present is also used to narrate habits, facts, preferences, and schedules from the past. We use this tense to make the story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid.

Thanks in advance

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi teachers,

The simple past is used to narrate past habits, facts, preferences, and schedules. It expresses completed actions at a definite time in the past. In other words, we use the simple past to narrate the principal events of the story.
If I understood correctly you are talking about simple past, aren't you?

a) The[STRIKE] simple present[/STRIKE] simple past is also used to narrate habits, facts, preferences, and schedules. We use this tense to make [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid.
b) The [STRIKE]simple present[/STRIKE] simple pastis also used to narrate habits, facts, preferences, and schedules in the past[/COLOR][/B]. We use this tense to make[STRIKE] the[/STRIKE] a story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid.

Thanks in advance

I hope this helps.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
a) The simple present is also used to narrate habits, facts, preferences, and schedules. We use this tense to make the story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid.
b) The simple present is also used to narrate habits, facts, preferences, and schedules from the past. We use this tense to make the story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid.

Thanks in advance
The first is better because it doesn't include the confusing phrase "from the past".
It would be far better to say that the simple present is used to narrate habits etc. in the present, and then write a second sentence that explains that the simple present can also be used for some narration of the past, to make it more vivid, etc.
Note: Not "The simple present is used..." but "The simple present can [sometimes] be used ..."

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The first is better because it doesn't include the confusing phrase "from the past".
It would be far better to say that the simple present is used to narrate habits etc. in the present, and then write a second sentence that explains that the simple present can also be used for some narration of the past, to make it more vivid, etc.
Note: Not "The simple present is used..." but "The simple present can [sometimes] be used ..."

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply and help.

If I understood it the new explanation should be:
The simple present is used to narrate habits, facts, preferences, and schedules.
The simple present can sometimes be used for some narration of the past, to make a story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid.

I assume that this one is appropriate, isn't it?

Is it better to say '... to make the story ...' or '... to make a story ...'?

One more question please.
This is my original explanation to the students:
The present progressive is also used to narrate a situation that was in progress over a period of time in the past. We also use this tense to make the story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid, like it is occurring now.

On a second thought and to be consistent with the one in the simple present, I guess I should rewrite it and say:
One of the uses of the present progressive is to express actions that are occurring now, at this exact moment.
The present progressive can sometimes be used to narrate a situation that was in progress over a period of time in the past to make the story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid, like it is occurring now.
Do you agree? Could it be better?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I hope this helps.

Hi shannico,
Thank you for your reply and help. But 'a' and 'b' should say, 'The simple present'.

Best,
L54

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply and help.

If I understood it the new explanation should be:
No. If we are talking about what the explanation of how to use the simple present tense should read, it would include more than you've written, eg. its use for the future, "I'm graduate from university next week." Also, it depends on what use you are going for it. If I were going to make a summary like this, I would summarise four or five comprehensive grammar books or websites.

The simple present is used to narrate habits, facts, preferences, and schedules.
The simple present can sometimes be used for some narration of the past, to make a story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid.

I assume that this one is appropriate, isn't it?
Same as above. There's no need for every teacher to write their own version of the uses of a certain tense when there are so many sources that have already done it; by authors who know the uses, and who have listed them more or less comprehensively. ("more or less" - hence the need to consult a handful of expert sources.)

Is it better to say '... to make the story ...' or '... to make a story ...'?
It doesn't matter.

One more question please.
This is my original explanation to the students:
The present progressive is also used to narrate a situation that was in progress over a period of time in the past. We also use this tense to make the story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid, like it is occurring now.
Again, why not get your definition from a grammarian, who knows, and who has thought about, a comprehensive definition? The primary use of the present progressive is to relate what is happening in the present, right now, eg. "I am typing". This is by far the most common use, and you haven't listed it. But you have listed events happening in the past, which is rather confusing.

On a second thought and to be consistent with the one in the simple present, I guess I should rewrite it and say:
One of the uses of the present progressive is to express actions that are occurring now, at this exact moment.
The present progressive can sometimes be used to narrate a situation that was in progress over a period of time in the past to make the story more interesting, more emphatic, and more vivid, like it is occurring now.
Do you agree? Could it be better?

Thanks a lot

I recommend that you get your definitions from a competent grammar source. Your students deserve this.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I recommend that you get your definitions from a competent grammar source. Your students deserve this.

Hi Raymott,
Thank you very much for your reply and advice.
The whole thing can be much shorter, and it is absolutely my mistake. What I'm looking for here is just 'the narrative tenses', that's the title of the page, and why we use the simple past and past progressive to narrate past events, as well as the simple present and present progressive for the same reason. I've looked for good books about it, but I haven't found any that are simple and comprehensive. I f you could recommend me one or more, I'll be very grateful because the ones I've found only talk about past narrative tenses. These are the only narrative tenses I'm interested in so far: simple past and past continuous as well as simple present and present continuous.

Best,
L54

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Raymott,
Thank you very much for your reply and advice.
The whole thing can be much shorter, and it is absolutely my mistake. What I'm looking for here is just 'the narrative tenses', that's the title of the page, and why we use the simple past and past progressive to narrate past events, as well as the simple present and present progressive for the same reason. I've looked for good books about it, but I haven't found any that are simple and comprehensive. I f you could recommend me one or more, I'll be very grateful because the ones I've found only talk about past narrative tenses. These are the only narrative tenses I'm interested in so far: simple past and past continuous as well as simple present and present continuous.

Best,
L54
OK, I didn't realise that you were describing the tenses as they are used for narration.
I'm sure you'll find plenty of material if you search for "narrative tenses" or "tenses in narration", "tenses used in narration".
And when you present this material, you need to make clear to your students that this summary is specifically for narratives, ie. story-telling, and that use of tenses in ordinary speech or writing can be different.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
OK, I didn't realise that you were describing the tenses as they are used for narration.
I'm sure you'll find plenty of material if you search for "narrative tenses" or "tenses in narration", "tenses used in narration".
And when you present this material, you need to make clear to your students that this summary is specifically for narratives, ie. story-telling, and that use of tenses in ordinary speech or writing can be different.

Thank you for your reply and once again sorry for not making it clear since the very beginning.:oops:

I've looked at more than just a few pages about 'the narrative tenses' and I still prefer your definition for the simple present:

Out of that one I will give this one to my students for the simple past:
The simple past can also be used to narrate past habits, facts, preferences, and schedules. It expresses completed actions at a definite time in the past. In other words, we use the simple past to narrate the principal events of the story.

Thank you so much for all your help.
L54

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
I also like this one:
When telling a story, we can also use present and present progressive tenses to recreate the event in an active (dynamic) manner. The story teller relates the story as if it is happening at the moment.

L54

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
I also like this one:
When telling a story, we can also use present and present progressive tenses to recreate the event in an active (dynamic) manner. The story teller relates the story as if it is happening at the moment.

L54
Yes, that's fine.

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi shannico,
Thank you for your reply and help. But 'a' and 'b' should say, 'The simple present'.

Best,
L54

I must have misunderstood then.
All the best.
Shan

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain