Could you, please, proofread these sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChessEnthusiast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
At the beginning I would like to emphasize, that none of these sentences has anything to do with any assignments. They are used in my process of preparing for an exam.

1. The choice was simple: either to have this document translated by a lay or to wait for a professional translator to come.
But don't forget how important time was. (Or: time had been?)

2. The number of job applications grew fasther than we had predicted, thus we couldn't possibly tell you now when we will publish the interviewee list. The sooner you have called us to check if it's ready, the better.

3. He must be very touche about neatness. Hadn't he been so, he wouldn't have made so much fuss about being told by her (or having been told?) not to be so pedantic. She obviously meant no harm - she was just trying to be polite.

4. No one knows anything about his salary but he is said to be the highest paid employee here. He may owe his pay to having gone (or going?) to school with the CEO.

5. Let's make it clear. Should your assignment not be hand in withith a fortnight, do not count on getting your degree. In short, you will have been expelled before you get a chance to actually get it.

6. I wish my brother would not insult her again when she comes in tonight. (or: will not insult?)

7. Having known him (or Knowing?) for all these yeard, I had expected him (or expected?) to react the way he did, but the boss was rather schocked when he suddenly threw a pen in him.

Thank you in advance!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At the beginning I would like to emphasize (no comma here) that none of these sentences has anything to do with any assignments. They are used in my process of preparing for an exam.

1. The choice was simple: either to have this document translated by [STRIKE]a lay[/STRIKE] an amateur or to wait for a professional translator to come, but don't forget how important time was. [STRIKE](Or: time had been?)[/STRIKE]

2. The number of job applications grew [STRIKE]fasther[/STRIKE] faster than we had predicted. [STRIKE]thus[/STRIKE] As a result, we [STRIKE]couldn't[/STRIKE] can't[STRIKE] possibly[/STRIKE] tell you [STRIKE]now[/STRIKE] when we will publish the interviewee list. The sooner you [STRIKE]have called[/STRIKE] call us to check [STRIKE]if it's ready[/STRIKE], the better.

3. He must be very [STRIKE]touche[/STRIKE] touchy about neatness. [STRIKE]Hadn't he been so[/STRIKE] Were he not, he wouldn't have made so much fuss about [STRIKE]being told by her (or having been told?)[/STRIKE] her telling him not to be so pedantic. She obviously meant no harm - she was just trying to be polite.

4. No one knows anything about his salary but he is said to be the highest paid employee here. He may owe his pay to having gone [STRIKE](or going?)[/STRIKE] to school with the CEO.

5. Let's make it clear. Should your assignment not be handed in [STRIKE]withith[/STRIKE] within a fortnight, do not count on getting your degree. In short, you will [STRIKE]have been[/STRIKE] be expelled before you get a chance to actually get it.

6. I wish my brother would not insult her [STRIKE]again when she comes in tonight. (or: will not insult?)[/STRIKE] every time he comes here. "I wish he wouldn't" refers to a habitual action. If you're talking about one instance, say "I hope he doesn't insult her when she comes in tonight."

7. Having known him [STRIKE](or Knowing?)[/STRIKE] for all these [STRIKE]yeard[/STRIKE] years, I [STRIKE]had expected[/STRIKE] expected him to react the way he did, but the boss was rather [STRIKE]schocked[/STRIKE] shocked when he suddenly threw a pen [strike]in[/strike] at him.
It's a little ambiguous regarding who "him" refers to each time.

Thank you in advance!

See above. I have dealt with all your sentences but, in future, please ask about just one sentence per thread. Thanks.

ChessEnthusiast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you very much, emsr2d2!

I have a few questions about your correction.
1. Whis is the word "lay" used in the first sentence incorrect?
2. What is the difference between "thus" and "and so", in the second sentence?
3. As the fifth sentence implies that something will have happend by a particular point of time in the future, why is Future Perfect incorrect?

Apart from that, would creating several threads, instead of just one, not make unnecessary mess?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much, emsr2d2!

I have a few questions about your corrections.

1. [STRIKE]Whis[/STRIKE] Why is the word "lay", used in the first sentence, incorrect?
We sometimes refer to someone as a "lay person", usually meaning someone who works for or preaches for a religious organisation but they are not an ordained religious official. It can also be used to refer to someone who is not a member of a specific professional organisation, or someone who knows nothing about the subject under discussion. However, the important thing is that it's "a lay person", not "a lay". I considered "an amateur" to be an appropriate word in your context.

2. What is the difference between "thus" and "and so", in the second sentence?
That was really a personal preference. "Thus" can come across as somewhat old-fashioned. Many native speakers probably can't really explain what it means or how to use it.

3. As the fifth sentence implies that something will have happened by a particular point of time in the future, why is the future perfect incorrect?
Where do you think the future perfect comes into it. The whole sentence refers to the present and the past.

Apart from that, would creating several threads, instead of just one, not make unnecessary mess?
No, it will make it much simpler. When you post a long list of sentences for consideration, sometimes you find that responders choose to comment on just one or two of them. It can get very confusing when you get a thread full of people who aren't necessarily commenting on the same sentence as the person before them.

See above.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... would creating several threads, instead of just one, not make unnecessary mess?
In addition to ems's explanation, you'll get quicker answers if you ask one question per thread, because many people could answer one question but have neither the time nor knowledge to answer several all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.