Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "cutting breaks" mean "creating buffer zones to prevent fire from crossing"?

==================
Suppose a large forest fire hits California. Millions of acres are burning, and many towns are threatened. The Forest Service firefighters are cutting breaks and dropping water from helicopters. They plan their strategy using weather models that predict which way wind patterns will push the fire. Unfortunately, the models are imperfect. The wind turns in an unexpected direction. As a result, several towns are destroyed, and there are billions of dollars in damage.

Source: New England Journal of Medicine July 15, 2020
WHO’s Next — The United States and the World Health Organization
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2024894?query=featured_home

Last edited:
I wouldn't call those buffer zones. I would call them "fire breaks" to prevent fire from spreading.

I wouldn't call those buffer zones. I would call them "fire breaks" to prevent fire from spreading.

Please use another word to replace "break", avoiding using "break" to explain "break".

It is an accepted term in fire-fighting, an area which I have been involved in, being in the construction line.

Buffer zones apply to industrial areas and are meant for environmental protection.

I think buffer zones is okay. So is Ted's suggestion.

The difference is that buffer zones are planned for. "Breaks" are created on an ad hoc basis in the event of an emergency as is in this case.

A break is a gap. Isn't that simple enough? It is its purpose that matters.

Last edited:
The difference is that buffer zones are planned for. "Breaks" are created on an ad hoc basis in the event of an emergency as is in this case.

That's not necessarily true. Sometimes firebreaks are preplanned and even subsequently used as roads. Rivers and bodies of water serve as natural firebreaks.

Here are a few articles (unfortunately most require PDF downloads) regarding construction of permanent firebreaks. Most discuss using these permanent firebreaks as part of an annual prescribed burn.

Texas A&M Extension service article
OSU article(pdf download)

USDA- South Carolina guide that defines firebreaks as permanent or temporary (pdf)
Firebreak guide from Australian government (pdf)

That's not necessarily true. Sometimes firebreaks are preplanned and even subsequently used as roads. Rivers and bodies of water serve as natural firebreaks.

Here are a few articles (unfortunately most require PDF downloads) regarding construction of permanent firebreaks. Most discuss using these permanent firebreaks as part of an annual prescribed burn.

Texas A&M Extension service article
OSU article(pdf download)

USDA- South Carolina guide that defines firebreaks as permanent or temporary (pdf)
Firebreak guide from Australian government (pdf)

What I meant was that the breaks in the context was created in response to an emergency. It is not to say they cannot be planned for. Buffer zones on the other hand are only planned for.

It is referred to as firebreaks in all the links, and not buffer zones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back