Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello teachers,

Greetings!

I find the use of definite article quite confusing sometimes!

Here is the passage:

Kian Ming was elected as a member of the Malaysian Federal Parliament in the 2013 general election. He ran as a member of Democratic Action Party (DAP), one of [the] three key parties that make up Pakatan Harapan (Alliance of Hope).

My question:

Is the article (bolded) needed in the sentence? Please tell me reason if it is required.

The original did not have it. Also, please note that the three parties have not been mentioned in the previous text.

Source: Education and Politics in Malaysia, by Ong Kian Ming and Saifuddin Abdullah (Pre-press)

Thanks a lot, as always.

It is, I think, optional in this case. I think you can make a stronger case that "the" should go before "Democratic Action Party" (where it is omitted).

It is, I think, optional in this case. I think you can make a stronger case that "the" should go before "Democratic Action Party" (where it is omitted).

Could you please tell me why the definite article is needed here? I would really appreciate that.

Thanks again!

If the name of a political party has the word "Party" in it, then the definite article is required.

If the name of a political party has the word "Party" in it, then the definite article is required.

This also applies if the party's name includes the definite article like France's center-right party, Les Républicains, "the Republicans".

P.S. Say:

I find the use of the definite article quite confusing sometimes.

P.S. Say:

I find the use of the definite article quite confusing sometimes.

Again the definite article! Could you please tell me why the definite article is needed here? It will help me in understanding the rule better and apply it in similar instances.

Thanks again, and I really appreciate it.

Could you please tell me why the definite article is needed here? It will help me in understanding the rule better and apply it in similar instances.
The key is in the word "party". Even though it is part of the name here, it is ordinarily a singular countable noun. And since we are referring to a specific party (Democratic Action), the definite article is needed.

cf.
I've seen the Great Wall, the Apollo Theater, the Eiffel Tower, but not Big Ben.

teechar, in Post 7, by "Could you please tell me why the definite article is needed here?" I meant Tarheel's comment (sentence):

"P.S. Say:

I find the use of the definite article quite confusing sometimes." (The definite article was missing from my sentence in Post 1.)

I guess, the definite article is needed here as it is specific (the definite article, not the indefinite article). Am I right?

Thank you for your explanation and examples. They will definitely help in in future.

In post #1, there should have been a "the".
I find the use of definite article quite confusing sometimes! :cross:
I find the use of the definite article quite confusing sometimes!
tick.gif

The reason is that the word "article" is a singular countable noun. And since we have specified the article by using "definite", we must use "the".

In English, an article [Here, we just mean some/any article; we haven't specified which one.] is often needed before a noun. The definite article is used when the noun is specific/known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back