Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
English isn't my native language, but i'm studying it at college. I had a quiz last week and yesterday i got my results, then i had a discussion with my teacher. The thing is like this, there is one letter (the first of a word) and then is a phrase or its meaning, so we have to recognize the word and write it.

D....... : Feeling of losing all hope

I filled it with depressed, because at least being depressed for me is that, but then the teacher says that i was wrong, that desperate fits it better, and i'm not against that, i admit the fact that desperate could fit it better but is my choice really that bad?

I mean, now i wonder if desperate is really that different from depressed. Any help would be appreciated ;-)

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
NOT A TEACHER
I propose an even better word: 'despairing'.
According to Oxford (OALD8):
despairing: showing or feeling the loss of all hope
desperate: feeling or showing that you have little hope and are ready to do anything without worrying about danger to yourself or others
You can check them here: www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There's probably a few D-words that fit there. Both 'desperate' and 'depressed' could fit. Despairing, desolate, discouraged, despondent, dispirited, distressed.
But there are shades of meaning in all of those. I would choose 'desperate' because of the official meaning:

Desperate
adjective

feeling or showing a hopeless sense that a situation is so bad as to be impossible to deal with.
    "a desperate sadness enveloped Ruth"
    http://www.google.com.au/webhp?nord=1#nord=1&q=desperate+meaning

• But that's only one definition of 'desperate'. Now a severely depressed person could certainly have lost all hope. But that's not the primary denotation. The real answer is debatable.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with the variety of answers proposed, but they should all be nouns:

desperation
depression
despair

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Mike that they should be nouns- despair would be my first choice, but others work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.