Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was trying to answer one of the questions of the IELTS test about spoken English. The question is “Describe an item you lost and finally found”. Please help me with the following answer to make it colloquial and natural in English.

My friends and I were supposed to meet up the other afternoon but I first needed to go to the hospital for my knee MRI scan. I lay all my belongings in a temporary storage box along with my false teeth. My whole mind was thinking of being late so I soon slipped into my trousers and shoes after I finished the scanning. I was in a hurry and I forgot my teeth. In the evening when I was having dinner, I realized I left it in the hospital, I phoned the staffer there and he said he couldn’t find it. I didn’t want to give up because a new false teeth would cost me 800 yuan. I then decided to go back to find it and I finally found it in the original place where I lay it with the assistance of a nice doctor.

Edited: Changed the "Fake plastic teeth" to "false teeth".

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please edit your post and change "fake [plastic] teeth" to "false teeth". Simply doing that will improve your piece a lot!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You can use the singular if you have just an upper (or lower) denture.
Then I think "tooth" is the right word here because I got only one fake tooth.

There's more to do. I'm sure someone will get to it soon. I, however, have to work all day today!
Please take your time. I hope I can learn how to write natural English from you. It's worth waiting. I hope you'll take a look at this bad writing when you're not busy.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
My friends and I were supposed to meet up the other afternoon, but I first needed to go to the hospital for my knee MRI scan. I lay put all my belongings in a temporary storage box along with my false tooth. teeth. My whole mind was thinking of being I was so worried I might be late so I soon that I hurriedly slipped into my trousers and shoes after the scan I finished the scanning. I was in a hurry and I forgot my tooth. teeth. In the evening when I was having dinner, I realized I’d left it in the hospital, so I phoned the staffer there and he they said they couldn’t find it. I didn’t want to give up because a new false teeth tooth would cost me 800 yuan. I then decided to go went back to the hospital find to look for it, and I finally found it in the original place where I lay I’d left/put it, with the assistance of a nice doctor.