Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to describe this green field.

green-fields-2210x1473.jpg

I need a word to fill in the blank with:

A vast, green sea of .... rolled out before us.

I don't want to use "grass."

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you! I also want to use "a green sea of...".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think you need another adjective in there. How about "an undulating green sea of grass"?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think you need another adjective in there. How about "an undulating green sea of grass"?
Great! What can I use instead of grass?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, it's grass so I'm not really sure how you can use a different word for it!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Turf?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A vast expanse of rolling, verdant pasture

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure I'd use "vast expanse of" with "pasture". You could just say that it is a large rolling verdant pasture.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know about AmE, but in BrE, "turf" is generally used to refer to grass that has been purposely laid to create a sort of lawn.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What's wrong with grass? It looks like grass to me. Why avoid what is the case?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am 98% certain that's a field of wheat early in its life cycle. Until it begins to mature and develop seed heads, it looks just like grass. That explains the tractor tire marks as well.

I live in the heart of the US wheat belt, so it's a very common sight (minus the rolling hills). This year's crop isn't so lush and solid green yet, unfortunately - ongoing drought and warm winter has set this year's crop back a bit, so fields are just now starting to show green sprouts when they should already be solid carpets.

Wheat is nothing but a special type of grass cultivated for its seed heads, though.

Compare to this image: https://pixels.com/featured/green-rolling-wheat-fields-with-lines-of-tractor-tyre-tracks-run-gill-copeland.html

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, I should amend my certainty as to 'wheat' - at that stage, it's too early to tell from that picture if it's wheat or one of the other similar grass grains such as tricale, rye, oats, or barley. They all look very similar until noding and seed head development.

I'm still 98% certain it's a grain crop, but I can't be so sure as to which exact one. Nobody else will be certain at that distance either, so call it what you want.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Actually, I should amend my certainty as to 'wheat' - at that stage, it's too early to tell from that picture if it's wheat or one of the other similar grass grains such as tricale, rye, oats, or barley. They all look very similar until noding and seed head development.

I'm still 98% certain it's a grain crop, but I can't be so sure as to which exact one. Nobody else will be certain at that distance either, so call it what you
Are the grain crops of that bright green colour? I thought they are more brownish and the texture is coarser (more spaced out rather than the dense, velvety texture which the picture shows) and more uneven when viewed from a distance. But the double-lined tracks regularly space out through the field for access do suggest some kind of grain crop planted for cultivation rather than pasture for grazing.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Cereal? Crop?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are the grain crops of that bright green colour? I thought they are more brownish and the texture is coarser (more spaced out rather than the dense, velvety texture which the picture shows) and more uneven when viewed from a distance. But the double-lined tracks regularly space out through the field for access do suggest some kind of grain crop planted for cultivation rather than pasture for grazing.
Yes, they're identical to grass when young (and healthy). They only turn color later as they ripen. Wheat actually yields more when spaced closely.

Also, both the photos are taken at a distance, so you're just seeing the canopy of leaves that obscure the underlying soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.