Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

An episode of a TV drama reminded me of a mistake that my former colleague had make. I used to work in a private education organisation, which have partnerships with universities abroad. One day, someone told me that a colleague had mistakenly invited an overseas professor to come to our annual dinner in Hong Kong, and the professor could reimburse all the fee, including flight tickets. The most unexpected thing was that he accepted the invite. Our superior found it too embarrassing to tell the professor it was an oversight so we had no choice but accepted it.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Call it a noun phrase. What am I talking about? This: a mistake my former colleague made.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Do you mean your colleague invited the wrong professor to al all-expenses-paid dinner in Hong Kong and upon realising it, he was too embarrassed to withdraw the invitation? I don't find it embarrassing to rectify the mistake by cancelling the invitation.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Do you mean your colleague invited the wrong professor to al all-expenses-paid dinner in Hong Kong and upon realising it, he was too embarrassed to withdraw the invitation? I don't find it embarrassing to rectify the mistake by cancelling the invitation.
The superior of the colleague found it embarrassing to withdraw the invitation.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
An episode of a TV drama I saw recently reminded me of a mistake that one of my former colleagues had [once] made. I used to work in a private education organisation, which have has/had partnerships with universities abroad. One day, someone told me that a colleague had mistakenly invited an overseas professor to come to our annual dinner in Hong Kong, and the professor had told him that he could be reimbursed for all the fee associated costs of attending, including flight tickets. The most unexpected thing was that He accepted the invite. Our superior found thought it would be too embarrassing to tell the professor it was that inviting him had been an oversight error/a mistake so we had no choice but accepted it but to let him come and pay all his costs.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Do people use the contraction of "colleague'd"? The system keep red-underlining it.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Why do we not need to use the past perfect in "An episode of a TV drama I saw recently reminded me of a mistake that one of my former colleagues made."?

However, why do we need to use the past perfect in "Our superior thought it would be too embarrassing to tell the professor that inviting him had been a mistake so we had no choice but to let him come and pay all his costs".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do people use the contraction of "colleague'd"? The system keep red-underlining it.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Even in speech, we wouldn't contract "colleague had" to "colleague'd", so we certainly don't do it in writing. If you're thinking of the way someone might not entirely pronounce "had", then what comes out is more like "colleague uhd made". I'm sure someone who can do phonetic symbols can make that clearer for you.

You can only shorten the "had" of a past perfect verb if it's preceded by a pronoun, but not by a noun.

I'd made ✅
He'd made ✅
They'd made ✅

The man'd made ❌
My colleague'd made ❌
Her friends'd made ❌

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do people use the contraction of "colleague'd"? The system KEPT red-underlining it.
That seems to be a contraction you invented. I don't recommend that learners invent their own contractions.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why do we not need to use the past perfect in "An episode of a TV drama I saw recently reminded me of a mistake that one of my former colleagues made."?
I thought I explained that one.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However, why do we need to use the past perfect in "Our superior thought it would be too embarrassing to tell the professor that inviting him had been a mistake so we had no choice but to let him come and pay all his costs".
For the same reason we normally use that form.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"An episode of a TV drama I saw recently reminded me of a mistake that one of my former colleagues made."
Isn't it that the mistake happened before the episode reminded me of that mistake?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You didn't explain.:ROFLMAO: You just called it a noun phrase.
That was my explanation. A noun phrase acts like same as any other noun. It's simply more than one word.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
That was my explanation. A noun phrase acts like same as any other noun. It's simply more than one word.
Do you mean that when we use a noun phrase, we don’t use the perfect tense?