Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My mother asked me to learn driving, but I don't want to, because I know my reactions to unexpected situations are slow. And I don't think I'm a lucky person, because sometimes, some cars run the red light in front of me. If I walked a bit faster, I would have been crushed already. I believe those are signs that warns me not to drive. Another concern is that I don't want to hurt anybody because of my driving mistakes. So, I prefer public transportation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My mother has asked me to learn [STRIKE]driving[/STRIKE] to drive no comma here but I don't want to no comma here because I know [STRIKE]my reactions to[/STRIKE] I react slowly to unexpected situations. [STRIKE]are slow.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Also, I don't think I'm a lucky person [STRIKE], because[/STRIKE] - sometimes, some cars run [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a red light in front of me. If I walked a bit faster, I would have been crushed already.

I believe those are signs that [STRIKE]warns[/STRIKE] warn me not to drive. Another concern is that I don't want to hurt anybody because of my driving mistakes. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] Therefore, I prefer public [STRIKE]transportation[/STRIKE] transport.

Please note my corrections above.

I don't understand the entire blue, underlined part. What do you mean by "in front of me"? If there is a car in front of you at a red light, that suggests that you are in the queue of traffic behind that car. Why would you have been run over if you walked faster? I would have thought that if you walked faster, you'd have more chance of getting out of the way of the car! I have a feeling that you mean you are on the pavement/kerb (sidewalk in AmE), waiting for the traffic lights to turn red so you can cross the road. If that's the case, then you mean that if you started crossing the road earlier and a car ran the red light, it might hit you. Am I right?

I'll repeat the advice I've given multiple times on this forum - as a learner, don't try to start sentences with "But", "And" or "So". There are circumstances in which they can work as the first word of a sentence but, invariably, learners use them incorrectly. Instead of "But", use "However, ...". Instead of "And", use "Also, ...". Instead of "So", use either "Consequently, ...", "Therefore, ...", or nothing at all.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have a feeling that you mean you are on the pavement/kerb (sidewalk in AmE), waiting for the traffic lights to turn red so you can cross the road. If that's the case, then you mean that if you started crossing the road earlier and a car ran the red light, it might hit you. Am I right?
The traffic lights for pedestrians are green while I am crossing the road. In the meanwhile, the traffic lights for the vehicles are red and a car still doesn't stop. Therefore, I suppose the car is running a red light.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What's the difference between "learn driving" and "learn to drive"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case, you need to say ...

"Sometimes, a car runs a red light while I'm waiting to cross the road. If I started crossing the road as soon as the pedestrian light is green, I would have been run over by now!"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What's the difference between "learn driving" and "learn to drive"?
Learn to drive is correct. Learn driving isn't.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can use "learn + to-infinitive" or "learn + noun" but not "learn + gerund".

I want to learn to drive. :tick:
I want to learn to sew. :tick:
She wanted to learn to count to one hundred in French. :tick:

I want to learn French. :tick:
She wanted to learn Javascript. :tick:
He wants to learn algebra. :tick:

I want to learn driving. :cross:
I want to learn sewing. :cross:
She wanted to learn counting to one hundred in French. :cross:

Status
Not open for further replies.