Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My mother told me she wanted to do plastic surgery for her face. She thought she was getting old and unhappy about her loose skin. I said no! And I reminded her that she had diabetes and other health issues. I don't think she should risk her life for unnecessary surgeries. I admit that I've considered doing plastic surgery. However, I held back when I saw some people die from it so I'm not going to take the risk. Most importantly, I spent a lot of effort to finish university so if I died, my effort would be a waste.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My mother told me she wanted to [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] get/have plastic surgery [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] on her face. She [STRIKE]thought she[/STRIKE] was getting old and was unhappy about her loose skin. I said "No!" and I reminded her that she had diabetes and other health issues so I don't think she should risk her life for unnecessary surgeries.

I admit that I've considered [STRIKE]doing[/STRIKE] having/getting plastic surgery. However, I [STRIKE]held back[/STRIKE] changed my mind when I saw some people had died from it so I'm not [STRIKE]going[/STRIKE] prepared to take the risk. Most importantly, I [STRIKE]spent[/STRIKE] made a lot of effort to finish university so if I died, my effort would [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] have been a waste.

emsr2d2

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
if I died, my effort would [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] have been a waste.emsr2d2
Is it because my effort has already been made so it should be "would have been" but not "would be"?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
However, I [STRIKE]held back[/STRIKE] changed my mind when I saw some people had died from it
Isn't it when we use "see", we need to use a bare infinitive for the following verb?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Isn't it when we use "see", we need to use a bare infinitive for the following verb?

I think you are right about "see", used as a verb of perception, is followed by a bare infinitive but it doesn't apply to this sentence.

1. However, I changed my mind when I saw that some people had died from it.
2. However, I changed my mind when I saw some people die from it.

#1 is clearer with a "that"(optional) "after saw". "Saw" here means "get to know (about something)".
#2 implies that you were at the scene to see people die while undergoing plastic surgery (possible but I don't think that was what you mean).

Status
Not open for further replies.