Diary entry - Yesterday, I ate a lot of potato crisps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday, I ate a lot of potato crisps. I guess I ate too fast and rough so those crisps slashed my oral cavity. This morning, I felt my upper oral cavity was in pain. I then used mouthwash. I feel much better now. It was not the first time that happened. I had a similar experience last year and that made me afraid to eat crisps. However, at that time, I was not sure if the pain was caused by crisps. This time, I'm sure!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday, I ate a lot of potato crisps. I guess I ate too fast and They were so rough so those crisps that they slashed cut the roof of my oral cavity mouth. This morning, I felt my upper oral cavity was in pain it really hurt. I then used mouthwash and I feel much better now. It was not the first time that had happened. I had a similar experience last year and that made me afraid to eat crisps. However, at that time, I was not sure if the pain was caused by the crisps. This time, I'm sure!

See above.

Trust me when I say that no one uses "oral cavity" in everyday speech. I don't even think a doctor or dentist would use it. I might expect to see it in an autopsy report.
It's your mouth. Inside your mouth are various parts with different names. The hard/soft palate (above your tongue) is generally referred to as the roof of your mouth.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Maybo's palate was cut by by the sharp edges of the crisp as she ate too fast. Why did you delete that part? I have never experienced being cut while eating crisps before, but I've had my tooth broken while biting hard snacks.

Dentists would talk about oral cavity.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybo's palate was cut by by the sharp edges of the crisp as she ate too fast. Why did you delete that part? I have never experienced being cut while eating crisps before, but I've had my tooth broken while biting hard snacks.

Dentists would talk about oral cavity.
I deleted it because it seemed to have no relevance. The mouth was cut because the crisps were rough. I've experienced this many times. When I eat crinkle-cut crisps, I frequently end up cutting the roof of my mouth, and even the corners of my mouth. It's usually made worse by the flavour - salt and vinegar ones are the worst offenders for making the mouth sore. It's nothing to do with the speed of eating them.

Dentists might talk about oral cavities amongst themselves but when talking to their patients they'd use "mouth".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could try eating crisps a bit less greedily. :eek:

Tarheel

VIP Member