Diary entry - Yesterday, I used a pan to fry food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday, I used a pan to fry food. When I finished cooking, I left the pan on the stove. After a minute, my dad went into the kitchen and then told my mum that I didn't turn off the fire. It was impossible! My mum went to check and found that the fire was off. My dad said, 'the fire is still on. If it is off, how could I feel hot when I put my hand over the pan, ?' When I heard that, I thought that was crazy. He didn't even remove the pan to see if there was fire. Use hand?! He's really getting weird.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday, I used a pan to fry food. When I finished cooking, I left the pan on the stove. After a minute, my dad went into the kitchen and then told my mum that I hadn't turned off the fire. It was not true! My mum went to check and found that the fire was off. My dad said, 'the fire is still on. If it is off, how could I feel hot when I put my hand over the pan?' When I heard that, I thought that was crazy. He didn't even remove the pan to see if there was fire. Use his hand?! He's really getting weird.
If you had just finished cooking the grease in the pan would still be warm. But I guess you know that.

Here's an expression you might not know. (See below.)

Say what! (It's used to express surprise or astonishment.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yesterday, I used a pan to fry food.
Just say that you fried some food. We take it for granted that you used a pan.
After a minute, my dad went into the kitchen and then told my mum that I didn't turn off the fire.
... and hadn't turned off the gas/electricity/hob.

Status
Not open for further replies.