Diary - Today, I had my Japanese lesson.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I had my Japanese lesson. I started to learn new words and how to form a sentence. Five years ago, I tried to learn Japanese but I stuck in alphabets and am busy with my work, so I gave up. This time, I found myself did better. Before learning this new language, I'd never thought that there is a word order such as Subject+Object+Verb. Therefore, I did some research on other languages and found that there is even OVS and OSV sentence patterns. I can't imagine my brain can function that way of speaking.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I had my Japanese lesson. I started to learn new words and how to form a sentence. Five years ago, I tried to learn Japanese but I was stuck in at alphabets. and am I was busy with my work then, so I gave up. This time, I found myself did doing better. Before learning this new language, I'd never have thought that there is a word order such as like Subject+Object+Verb. Therefore, I did some research on the same in other languages and found that there is are even OVS and OSV sentence patterns. I can't imagine my brain can function coping with that way of speaking.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Why should I use “I would never have thought” and not “I had never thought”?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Why should I use “I would never have thought” and not “I had never thought”?
You are right; what you have written using the past perfect tense is fine. "Would never have thought" is about looking at things on hindsight.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

This time I did better.

You can use English to talk about Japanese. Wow!