Diary - Today, my English teacher asked me if I had any wishes or regrets.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, my English teacher asked me if I had any wishes or regrets. My regret was that I didn't travel to other countries before Covid. Currently, flight tickets and hotel expense are much higher than the time before Covid. I've considered going to the Paris Olympics but the cost is too high during that period. As for wishes, I wish I could be good at mathematics. I used to think that I didn't need to deal with Maths if I studied only languages. However, when did the IELTS, I knew I can't get away from numbers ever.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's look at the last sentences first. Try: "As for wishes, I wish I was better at mathematics. I used to think I didn't need to deal with maths if I studied only languages. However, when I took the IELTS I realized that I can't avoid numbers forever."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say: "My regret is ...."

**flight tickets and hotel expenses

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, my English teacher asked me if I had any wishes or regrets. My regret was that I didn't travel to other countries before Covid. Currently, flight tickets and hotel expenses are much higher than the time before Covid. I've considered going to the Paris Olympics but the cost is was too high during that period. As for wishes, I wish I could be was good at mathematics. I used to think that I didn't need to deal with maths if I studied only languages. However, when did the IELTS, I knew I can't couldn't get away from numbers ever.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"the cost is was too high" The Paris Olympics hasn't begun yet. Why should I use "was"?

"I can't couldn't get away from numbers ever." Why should I use "couldn't"? Isn't that a general statement of fact that I can't get away from numbers forever?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"the cost is was too high" The Paris Olympics hasn't begun yet. Why should I use "was"?

"I can't couldn't get away from numbers ever." Why should I use "couldn't"? Isn't that a general statement of fact that I can't get away from numbers forever?
It's back-shifting of tense for consistency.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Why is "I've considered" not back-shifted?
Whether it is "considered" or "have considered", the action is still in the past, so the subject being in the past tense (cost being high) is appropriate.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Whether it is "considered" or "have considered", the action is still in the past, so the subject being in the past tense (cost being high) is appropriate.
How about “I wish”.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

@Maybo Don't worry.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Maybo - I think you're tying yourself up in knots trying to analyse the use of every tense of every verb. What you have to remember is that frequently there are no rules for us to explain to you. We simply absorb the appropriate use of tenses as children and we never think about them again! Also remember that sometimes multiple combinations of tenses are absolutely correct.

For example, all of these sentences are absolutely fine:

I know I'll never be any good with numbers.
I knew I'd never be any good with numbers.
I knew even then that I'll never be any good with numbers.

With regard to the part about the Paris Olympics, you were right to use the present tense. Flight prices etc were expensive when you looked but they still are and, as you say, the Olympics haven't started yet! In order to use the past simple, you'd need to qualify it with something like "The last time I looked, flights to France leading up to the Paris Olympics were far too expensive for me".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Today, my English teacher asked me if I had any wishes or regrets. My main regret was is that I didn't travel to other countries more before Covid. Currently, flight and hotel expense flights and hotels are much higher more expensive than the time before Covid. I've considered going to the Paris Olympics but the overall cost is too high. during that period. As for wishes, I wish I could be was good at mathematics. I used to think that I didn't wouldn't need to deal with maths if I studied only languages. However, when I did took the IELTS exam, I knew realised I can't can/will never get away from numbers. ever.
See above for how I would write your piece.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
@Maybo - I think you're tying yourself up in knots trying to analyse the use of every tense of every verb. What you have to remember is that frequently there are no rules for us to explain to you. We simply absorb the appropriate use of tenses as children and we never think about them again!
It's okay that sometimes things can't be explained. It's just good to know how a native speaker thinks when he uses a particular tense. I want to be more accurate because I'm preparing for a language test. In that test, I might be required to describe an experience or event.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's okay that sometimes things can't be explained. It's just good to know how a native speaker thinks when he uses a particular tense. I want to be more accurate because I'm preparing for a language test. In that test, I might be required to describe an experience or event.
I think it's fair to say that we don't usually consciously choose which words to use -- especially in speech. I only think about it after somebody asks me a question.

That post of yours I am happy to say is perfect. 🙂