Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, my English teacher told me that some of her students' parents wanted their children to speak like a native speaker after taking her class. It's difficult to achieve because those children usually take her class only once or twice a week. I guess even if they have a lesson everyday, it's still difficult to be a native speaker with only an hour practice daily. It reminded me of my childhood. I spent a year with my grandma in Shanghai so I can speak Shanghai dialect. I picked up that dialect without learning it at school. Although I'm not that fluent now, I wouldn't form weird sentences. Therefore, I'm always thinking that if I were put in an English speaking country a year when I was a child, I wouldn't struggle with English anymore.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Today, my English teacher told me that the parents of some of her students' parents wanted expect their children to speak like a native speaker achieve native-level English after taking her class. It's That would be very difficult to achieve because those children usually take her class only once or twice a week. I guess Even if they have had a lesson everyday every day, it's it would still be difficult to be a native speaker reach that level with only an hour's practice daily a day.

It The conversation reminded me of my childhood. I spent a year living with my grandma in Shanghai so I can speak Shanghai dialect. where I picked up that the Shanghai dialect without learning studying it at school. Although I'm not that fluent now anymore, I wouldn't form weird sentences I can still speak it without making weird errors.

Therefore, I'm always thinking I think that if I were had been put in sent to an English-speaking country for a year when I was a child, I wouldn't struggle so much with English anymore now.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I'd like to say that's very well written, and it is, but I'm talking about post #2.

As you already noted, that teacher is making unrealistic promises.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
As you already noted, that teacher is making unrealistic promises.
The teacher didn't make any promises, and Maybo didn't say that they did.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Piscean My bad. I might have been thinking about somebody else.

I'll try to be less blunt from now on.