Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve so my mum and I'm going to have a feast about Shanghai food. She's been longing for this - her hometown food! After the lunch, we will go shopping and take some photos with Christmas decorations. This time we'll not upload photos immediately after taking the photos because yesterday my mum did so and her friends recognise her by her clothes on the streets. She didn't want to bump into her friends chitchatting on the street. We'll try to go home before evening to avoid the crowd who are waiting for the New Year's countdown.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't have a feast about anything. You can have a feast of XXX, or you can feast (verb) on XXX.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A lot of people would be surprised to learn that Shanghai food is different from Hong Kong food. Anyhow, I would probably just say that the two of us are going to eat some Shanghai food.

Say:

After lunch we will go shopping....

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
A lot of people would be surprised to learn that Shanghai food is different from Hong Kong food.
:eek:
Each province or city in China has its specialties.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tomorrow is New Year's Eve so my mum and I'm are going to have a Shanghai food feast at lunchtime. about Shanghai food.
"My mum and I" = "We", so you need a plural verb.
If having that sort of feast on New Year's Eve is a habit for you and your mum, then "so" is OK. If not, use "and".
I've added "at lunchtime" because, until I read a later paragraph, I assumed this feast was going to take place in the evening.
She's been longing for this - food from her hometown! food!
Note that "longing" is a bit old-fashioned and formal. I'd use "She's been looking forward to this for ages ...".
After the lunch, we will we'll go shopping and take some photos/selfies with the local Christmas decorations.
As I've said before, your writing would be much more natural if you'd use more contractions.
This time we'll not we won't upload the photos immediately after taking the photos because yesterday my mum did so that yesterday and her friends recognised her by her clothes on the streets.
I don't know why the underlined part is there at all. Your mum's friends simply recognised her by her clothes. The street had nothing to do with it.
She didn't want to bump into her friends chitchatting on the street.
I have no idea what this has to do with the rest of the piece. I don't know why it's in the past tense either.
We'll try to go get/head home before evening to avoid the crowds who are who'll be waiting for the New Year's Year countdown.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I don't know why the underlined part is there at all. Your mum's friends simply recognised her by her clothes. The street had nothing to do with it.
We bumped into her friends on the street.
I have no idea what this has to do with the rest of the piece. I don't know why it's in the past tense either.
It is because she doesn't want to spend time talking with her friends and she rather goes to more different places to take photos with the local Christmas decorations.
It should be in the present tense "She doesn't want to bump into her friends chitchatting on the street."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
w
We bumped into her friends on the street.
In that case, I don't know what it's got to do with your mum posting photos online.

Either your mum's friends recognised her and the location from some photos she posted (and then came and found her there) or they recognised her by her clothes. It doesn't make sense to use both.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is because she doesn't want to spend time talking with her friends and she but would rather goes go to more different places to take photos with the local Christmas decorations.

It should be in the present tense "She doesn't want to bump into her friends chitchatting on the street."
That makes more sense.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
w

In that case, I don't know what it's got to do with your mum posting photos online.

Either your mum's friends recognised her and the location from some photos she posted (and then came and found her there) or they recognised her by her clothes. It doesn't make sense to use both.
Yesterday, when we were on the street, we bumped into my mum’s friends and they recognised her by her clothes from the photos she posted.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yesterday, when we were on the street, we bumped into my mum’s friends and they recognised her by her clothes from the photos she posted.
Didn't they recognise her face? That seems very odd if they're her friends!

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Didn't they recognise her face? That seems very odd if they're her friends!
We’re still wearing masks. (Also many other people):LOL:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We’re still wearing masks. (Also So are many other people.) :LOL:
Wow! I had no idea masks were still a thing anywhere! OK, I guess you'll all have to get good at recognising each other by your clothes then!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wow! I had no idea masks were still a thing anywhere! OK, I guess you'll all have to get good at recognising each other by your clothes then!
I went out (Aldi) yesterday, and I didn't see anybody wearing one. I don't think I saw anybody wearing one the last time I went to Food Lion either.