Diary - Yesterday afternoon, I bought a takeaway in the heavy rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday afternoon, I bought a takeaway in the heavy rain. While I was walking outside the mall, my takeaway fell on the floor. The milk tea spilled over and was full of the plastic bag. A nice woman helped me hold my umbrella so that I could take out my food and throw the rest into the rubbish bin.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday afternoon, I bought a takeaway in the heavy rain. While I was walking outside the mall, I dropped the bag containing my takeaway. fell on the floor. The milk tea spilled over and was full of inside the plastic bag. A nice woman helped me hold my umbrella, so that I could take out my food and throw the rest into the rubbish bin.
You can also use "salvage" instead of "take out".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you bought the food in a mall, you didn't buy it in heavy rain - unless it was raining inside the mall (which would be very odd!)

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If you bought the food in a mall, you didn't buy it in heavy rain - unless it was raining inside the mall (which would be very odd!)
I find you don’t use “the” for “heavy rain”. Do I need to use it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I find noticed that you don’t didn't use “the” for before “heavy rain”. Do I need Was I wrong to use it?

If some heavy rain has already been mentioned, you can use the definite article with it after the first mention.
For example, "I walked to the market in heavy rain. I had an umbrella but the heavy rain still soaked me to the skin."

In your post, there was no mention of it before the opening sentence so no article was necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.