[Idiom] die to

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRACIELA ESTER

Member Type
English Teacher
In a movie I heard a woman say:"My son died to Saddam Hussein". I have not been able to find this idiom in the dictionary, but I believe it means that Hussein was responsible for her son´s death. Am I right?
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a movie I heard a woman say:"My son died to Saddam Hussein". I have not been able to find this idiom in the dictionary, but I believe it means that Hussein was responsible for her son´s death. Am I right?
Thank you.
Could it be: "My son died for Saddam Hussein."?:?:

Thank you.
Of what ethnicity or language background was the speaker?

Thank you.
Could it be: "My son's death is due to Saddam Hussein."? :?:

Could it be: "My son died for Saddam Hussein."?:?:

The meaning would be different from the meaning suggested in the original post- it suggests that the son gave his life for Saddam Hussein, though the negative sense of responsibility could come from the mother alone, thinking the sacrifice had been in vain or a waste.

The meaning would be different from the meaning suggested in the original post- it suggests that the son gave his life for Saddam Hussein, though the negative sense of responsibility could come from the mother alone, thinking the sacrifice had been in vain or a waste.
But, Tdol, can we actually figure out the meaning suggested in the original post?? We need more context before we can determine whether we are dealing with a positive or negative response. ;-) Since Graciela has not responded to subsequent posts we may never know the true context!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back