Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
How to build direct and indirect questions?
I have to omit ‘do’, ‘does’, ‘did’ in an indirect question and change word order. What else?

I made sentences to the text. Are they correct?
Direct questions:
1. What does a new study out of Stanford University suggest?
2. What did the study find?
3. What do critics say?
4. Who has a variety of reasons for choosing organic foods?
5. How is сertified-organic food produced?
Indirect questions:
1. Can you tell me what a new study out of Stanford University suggests.
2. Do you know what the study found.
3. Do you happen to know what critics say.
4. Do you know who has a variety of reasons for choosing organic foods.
5. Can you tell me how сertified-organic food is produced.

Exercise: Read the text and make direct and indirect questions to the parts of the sentences written in bold letters.
A new study out of Stanford University suggests that organic foods have no additional nutritional value than non-organic foods1. The study suggests that other factors, such as the ripeness of the produce when it is picked, determine the nutritional quality. The study found that organic food contained significantly less pesticide residue than non-organic food2. Despite the massive research that went into the study, critics say that the research is flawed and based on short-term evidence3. Consumers4 have a variety of reasons for choosing organic foods, including concerns about animal welfare and the environment. Certified-organic food is produced with environmentally and animal-friendly production methods5, and does not contain genetically modified ingredients.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
First of all, your question is incorrectly formed. In English we do not ask "How to ...". We say "How can I..." or "How do I...". Secondly, the exercise itself contains a grammatical error. "Have additional value than ..." is unidiomatic. Say "have additional value compared to ...". Lastly, I don't think you've grasped the concept of indirect question.

Frezie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
First of all, your question is incorrectly formed. In English we do not ask "How to ...". We say "How can I..." or "How do I...". Secondly, the exercise itself contains a grammatical error. "Have additional value than ..." is unidiomatic. Say "have additional value compared to ...". Lastly, I don't think you've grasped the concept of indirect question.
This exercise was given to us by a teacher, a similar exercise will be on the final test. Can you please give an example of a correct indirect question or tell how can I create it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Don't forget that you still need to put question marks at the end of indirect questions. Other than that, you've got everything right in terms of the grammar. I can't see what the point of writing indirect comprehension questions about a reading text is, however. Your direct questions are fine but the indirect ones are not appropriate at all. We typically use indirect questions when we want to make polite enquiries to strangers.

Who designed this exercise? Is this part of a course assignment?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This exercise was given to us by a teacher, a similar exercise will be on the final test. Can you please give an example of a correct indirect question or tell how can I create it?
When do you have to submit your exercise answers to your teacher?

Frezie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
When do you have to submit your exercise answers to your teacher?
I have already submitted this task and the online system rated it at 5.67/16 for eight questions.

Last edited:

Frezie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Don't forget that you still need to put question marks at the end of indirect questions. Other than that, you've got everything right in terms of the grammar. I can't see what the point of writing indirect comprehension questions about a reading text is, however. Your direct questions are fine but the indirect ones are not appropriate at all. We typically use indirect questions when we want to make polite enquiries to strangers.

Who designed this exercise? Is this part of a course assignment?
The exercise was developed by our teacher. This is homework, which will also be on the final test.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is homework,

The forum rules are very clear. We don't help with homework or assignments. Your teacher is interested only in your work. When your teacher returns your homework, having marked it and made comments, you can come back to us if there's anything you don't understand about the marks or comments.

I don't know what you mean in post #6 when you said you "sent it for review" and that "the system rated it". What sort of review? What system? You didn't answer my question about when you have to submit it to your teacher.

Frezie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The forum rules are very clear. We don't help with homework or assignments. Your teacher is interested only in your work. When your teacher returns your homework, having marked it and made comments, you can come back to us if there's anything you don't understand about the marks or comments.

I don't know what you mean in post #6 when you said you "sent it for review" and that "the system rated it". What sort of review? What system? You didn't answer my question about when you have to submit it to your teacher.
Sorry, but our teacher haven't marked it, only the system gives a mark. So I don't have any comments, and I don't even know which question was correct. I just have a mark 5.67 from 16. So I'm posting it here to hear what I wrote wrong.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I still want to get to the bottom of this. You said your teacher gave you the homework. Do you mean that your teacher told you to go and do an online exercise (on this mysterious "system")? Didn't you have to tell your teacher what you scored?

Frezie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I still want to get to the bottom of this. You said your teacher gave you the homework. Do you mean that your teacher told you to go and do an online exercise (on this mysterious "system")? Didn't you have to tell your teacher what you scored?
The teacher uploads this to Moodle (I don't know if you know this system). He sees our results and I only see a mark.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Doesn't your teacher give you any feedback?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK. That's not very helpful of your teacher. I have done the first one for you, but I think you need to read up on the difference between direct and indirect questions. (Note that I have made a correction to the main sentence because it was ungrammatical.) I have assumed that you were supposed to use the parts in bold to create the questions.

A new study out of Stanford University suggests that organic foods have no more additional nutritional value than non-organic foods.

Direct question: Helen asked me "Do organic foods have more nutritional value than non-organic foods?"
Indirect question: Helen asked me whether organic foods have more nutritional value than non-organic foods.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Don't forget that you still need to put question marks at the end of indirect questions.
Only when they are posed within direct questions:

Do you know what the study found?
I'd like to know what the study found.
Please tell me what the study found.

Status
Not open for further replies.