Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When talking about magic tricks does this part sound natural? "The trick of dividing a person in a box into parts" and "to the sound of the song of a musical group Rammstein"?

As a child, I hated programs about magic tricks. Especially the trick of dividing a person in a box into parts. I remember one of the episodes. It was to the sound of the song of a musical group Rammstein and it was very scary.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sawing a person in two

Magic shows

As a child I hated magic shows -- especially the trick of sawing a person in two

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Sawing a person in two

Magic shows

As a child I hated magic shows -- especially the trick of sawing a person in two
Do you mean "programs about magic tricks" should be changed into "magic shows?"

Does this part sound idiomatic? "It was to the sound of the song of a musical group Rammstein and it was very scary."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean "programs about magic tricks" should be changed into "magic shows?"
A "program about magic tricks" suggests a TV show in which they talk about/demonstrate magic tricks, rather than a magician doing tricks to a live audience. The latter is a magic show.
Does this part sound idiomatic? "It was to the sound of the song of a musical group Rammstein and it was very scary."
Is there really only one song by Rammstein? If so, say "It was set to/accompanied by the song by Rammstein". If not, say "It was set to/accompanied by a song by Rammstein".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
A "program about magic tricks" suggests a TV show in which they talk about/demonstrate magic tricks, rather than a magician doing tricks to a live audience. The latter is a magic show.

Is there really only one song by Rammstein? If so, say "It was set to/accompanied by the song by Rammstein". If not, say "It was set to/accompanied by a song by Rammstein".
I meant by one of the songs of this band which was used in the program. Yes, there was only one song in the program by them. But because it's one of their songs should I use the indefinite article?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant by one of the songs of this band which was used in the program. Yes, there was only one song in the program by them. But because it's one of their songs should I use the indefinite article?
Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.