[Grammar] Do the two sentences express the same meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1.The old man sat in the bed watching the boys playing.

2.The old man watched the boys playing sitting in the bed or sitting in the bed,the old man watched the boys playing.

Do the two sentences above express the same meaning? can i use any one sentence between the two sentences for the same meaning? can you explain it grammatically?.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're giving three variations, aren't you?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1.The old man sat in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] bed watching the boys playing.

2.The old man watched the boys playing sitting[STRIKE] in[/STRIKE] the bed or #3 [STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]Sitting in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] bed,spacethe old man watched the boys playing.

Do the two sentences above express the same meaning? [STRIKE]c[/STRIKE]Can [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]I use any one [STRIKE]sentence between[/STRIKE]of the [STRIKE]two[/STRIKE]three sentences for the same meaning? can you explain it grammatically?.
Babai. You keep starting threads asking effectively the same question. The answer is always the same. In this case, #2 suggests that the boys were playing while they were sitting. The present participle normally refers to its nearest antecedent.

It doesn't matter how often you post this question, the answer will be the same. You will be able to find apparent exceptions, but they won't change the normal situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.